Monday, December 3, 2012

Peace Out

Monday morning Target and Home Goods shopping accomplished.  The key is going early and hopefully I will not need to make anymore trips that way but I am keeping my options open.  Last night I tried to go to the Nordstrom Customer Appreciation night and could not get in.  Not because I wasn't on the list, oh yes, but because the traffic to get into the parking garage was backed up for miles.  It didn't move.  I tried several other options but could not get in to have fun with Lisa P and CourtneyS, so I went home.  Most years I have shown up early for this event and now I know I will need to do that for next years, God willing and that I spend the designated amount to even get the invite.  The second option is usually not a problem...

A couple of posts ago I wrote about Junior Mint Peppermint Crunch and how addicting it is.  Well, I gave a box to Dena and we became determined to find more of these.  Thank you Target, they have the boxes of the candy crack on sale for 5 for $5.00.  Such a nice deal and it fits within a theme of five since we live in the Rancho de Five area. 

Roy was exhausted from a busy week and a long Celebration practice, so we punted church....I mean we took a Sabbatical Sunday.  We had a really nice day.  Got grocery shopping done, went out to lunch and got there before all the church people.  Made a stop at Gaby's for some gifts and even made a trip out to Brookwood and we didn't come home empty handed.  After a nap I met a friend for a delicious dinner and great conversation and then I already told you about the missed shopping event.  All in all it was a good Sunday.  I also worked on my Bible study homework and the Lord and I had a time!  He was in church and in my reading room.  Big God!

I read an interesting article last week about Charles Stanley.  I try really hard to be awake at 6:00 am to hear him on the radio but since we got back from our trip, I have kind of slept through it.  I loved one of  his answers to a question in the article,

As you come to the close of your own very successful ministry of many decades, what do you see when you look out at the contemporary church?
I'm excited about a lot of new life, but I'm concerned that there isn't dependence upon the Holy Spirit as much as upon music and other things. I've noticed the emphasis is more on leadership than on the Holy Spirit and the work of the Lord.
Theology gets lost in a lot of the fanfare. Who is this God whom we serve? We're to reverence him and love him. I grew up in a Pentecostal Holiness church, and reverence for God has always been a major issue with me. When I talk about praying, I usually talk about praying on your knees. You can pray anywhere, of course, but in my personal prayer life, I just sense that reverence for God, that I want to listen to him
 
I had actually been thinking about this a lot because of the homework I've had for CBSWhen I was on staff at a church I heard the term, "give leadership" a lot.  Basically it means, I don't want to get in there and do some of the hard work because of my title, but I will just give leadership to the people who are working on this particular project.  Also beware of the term 'servant heart' if it is being used to describe you.  In church speak this means you'll do all the junk work that no one wants to do and because you are so willing to do it, you'll not be considered for anything else since it can be difficult to find people willing to do this kind of work for very long.  Leadership is the buzz word right now.  Hey, I am all for leadership but every once in awhile it would be nice to see leaders really involved in the lowly work for just a little bit of time instead of the 'for show, look at me hand out a plate', kind of work.  Just a pet peeve of mine...you know it is right up there with using prayer to quiet a room or using prayer to bring stuff on the stage.  When prayer is abused for that usage, it is hard to take the requests to come pray at the altar and the like very seriously.  I John and now Hebrews really magnifies the work of the Holy Spirit in us and in all we put our hands to in His Name. 
 
I am excited about Celebration this weekend.  The Choir and Orchestra of Houston's First Baptist Church has been working really hard.  I am kind of sweet on the guy in the processional that come right behind the elephant.  Not only will he have to remove make up when he gets home but he will also have to get some of that elephant stink off of him. 
 
The last page of homework is calling out to me, so I better respond. 

No comments: