Monday, January 15, 2018

Family Reunion

The last time I saw the Feral Fam was last Tuesday afternoon. Cali had let me get pretty close to her but scampered away with one more step toward her. She sat up on the rocks looking through the winter ravage shrubs and skinny young trees. After several days of not seeing the Fam, I felt sure they had been trapped and rescued or maybe Mama Cat had taken them up to the barn they call home when it gets really cold. Such hope every time I looked out the window to see the three kiddos bound out of the tall grass and come down the slope. No Fam up at the tent of meeting, they weren't under the deck and the squirrels returned without one hint of fear. I knew they were gone. With rain and snow during those days I sure hoped they were keeping warm and out of the weather. The Google helped with information and I resigned myself knowing I had been kind and done the best I could for them...if they had moved on, it is well. Of course there wasn't anyway I could think that something or someone had gotten to them.

Sunday afternoon it was time to gather everything for the trash bin and get it down to the road. There were a few disposable bowls that had held food for them on the table and those went into the trash bag. There was the food, thinking I would donate it to someone or an organization when out of the corner of my eye, there she was on the rock, looking into the window, Mama Cat. Hurriedly, I mixed up some food and got it out to her. She ate almost the whole bowl but no sign of the kiddos. About forty five minutes later she returned and finished up what was left. Seeing her was so hopeful but once again no kiddos. I was talking to Roy and telling him a nap was calling my name when I looked up and Mama Cat was scooting those babies of her down the slope and into the yard. I got into swift action to mix up some food for them cause that wee little bit of leftovers would not keep them occupied too long. So good to see them, so glad to know they are ok, although Mama Cat looks a little worse for the wear.

This morning the Feral Fam wasn't up and roaming around but by faith mixed up the food and took it outside and there they were coming out from underneath the deck and happy to have full tummy's in quick order. They had their 3:30 supper as well and hopefully they are tucked away, someplace warm and I will see them in the morning.

Buddy was excited to see the Fam once again. Last week she sat by the window looking for them. She can be sound asleep upstairs and hear a can of cat food being opened and she is in the kitchen in no time flat. She doesn't even like wet food. She has some new treats with different flavors she hasn't had in a while, so she is a happy Buddy.

With a chance of snow in the forecast we will see what happens and where they go, but for now the Feral Fam is back!

No comments: