Sunday, January 7, 2018

Feral, Orinson, and Cark...Words

So, I haven't written about the Feral Fam of late. There are several reasons for that. This week amidst the cold and wind chill temps, Mama Cat has found a place to keep them warm so I didn't see them for almost forty eight hours. I made checks out the window but no Feral Fam to see. It seemed the good thing to do would be leaving out dry food, just in case. Yesterday, after arriving home from the Post Office and taking pictures of ice, the dry food bowl had just a little bit of food. So Ferals or something else had found food. Back to doing things around here and another look outside and the bowl was empty. Buddy began to stir from her millionth nap of the day and moved over to the back deck door to look out and that usually means Feral Fam is in residence. In the dusk to dark hours, there was MC and Cali. A quick mix up of food and a fresh bowl of water since it all turns to ice in a matter of time, and I was out the door. Roy had given me this spotlight of a flashlight which was so helpful in locating the Fam patiently waiting under the deck. Just a couple of steps away and turned to see if they were approaching the food...boom, they were already at the bowls. Returned with some treats to leave on the steps and Cali so engrossed in food let me get so close and almost was able to scoop her up. Wherever MC has found warmth for them must not include food. This morning MC and Cali were hanging out in the backyard, looking into the windows. Got halfway dressed and once again mixed up the food,inside cause the garage is too cold, and took it out to the Fam with water. They have been playing a bit in the sunshine but checking the food bowl, so just took out a little more to them.

I saw something interesting this morning with MC. A huge, HUGE, owl was up in the tree turning its head to and fro. The kiddos are usually with mom, but she was alone...under that tree...keeping an eye on the owl. The kiddos were safely under the deck as she kept an eye on the situation. Before I could get a pic, the owl flew off. MC held her position for a bit and then came down into the yard and under the deck. I'm wondering if I should bring the tent of meeting down here? We have one more night of arctic air and a mild warm up begins bringing back seasonal temps. MC has been more diligent in keeping watch over her little flock. With the cold temps, creatures of the outdoors are looking for food and warmth and she isn't looking to help birds of prey or anything else feast on her little fam.

There is so much to learn from this time with the Feral Fam. Buddy stays interested when they are close by but she has moved on, confident in the warmth of a home, treats, food and water laced with a laxative to help her along. Don't tell her about the water being spiked. I am notes on what can be learned and applied both from the right things and the wrong, misguided choices they make.
**********
Sunday morning and I am at home. Didn't feel all that great last night and woke up with a sore throat and a slight headache. Several years ago the cardiologist encouraged me to err on the side of caution when the temps are cool and everyone seems to have a cough due to cold. He said I know you are a Christian and go to church but be wise because church people have a tendency to attend when they should stay home and not infect others. This is one of those mornings So I will be attending computer church and not even in my jammies.

Today we are supposed to get above freezing and that will be welcomed. I told Roy last night it is so cold that I could feel the coldness on my legs, through my jeans. It has been a long time since I have been that cold outside. The electric bill will be through the roof this month but that is so much better than a plumbing bill and repair. Tomorrow it will be in the 50's and that will seem like a heat wave.

I have told a couple of people what I thought my word for the year would be, in fact it fit in so well with a new found love of archaic words. But it just didn't seem to fit or to work even with an additional word added to it to make my own one word. Then yesterday, I read an article that a friend posted on FB and I knew then, I had found the word. This isn't a set up for people to come back to read, I want to give the word the justice and meaning it deserves in a blog post. I will say that the words previously considered were orison, which means prayer and cark which means worry. It was to be a combined word, orisonforcark. Prayer for worry. I also considered using little. The definition of little seems to be of a negative measure but little in my experience has been much more.






No comments: