Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Answer Before I Could Ask The Question

Greetings from snow covered WNC! Right about dark the snowflakes started falling...little flakes that almost looked more like rain. The front deck had a dusting of coverage before I went upstairs. This morning I looked out the window to see the fields and houses blanketed with that frozen precip we call snow. Quiet, so very quiet and the road looked like just a few cars had taken the challenge of snow sledding,  driving. It didn't look like any side roads had even been touched. Buddy spotted one of the kittens trying to eat frozen food left from last night so I changed clothes and bundled up to attempt a trip to the backyard with some dry food. Broke out the new snow shovel and began to clear a path. From up on the hill I heard young voices call out, "would you like some help?" Yes! Thank you. So the kids went to get their snow shovels and we worked on the path and eventually the driveway. I put out some salt and took the food over to the steps for the Feral Fam. Drew and Emma, my kind young neighbors, and I talked about cats. They owned Michael, the one eyed cat only his real name was Spider Man and they told me of how Spidey had fallen ill and passed away. They invited me to come over, when the weather is better, to see where they had buried him. It seems our whole little group of neighbors loved that one eyed cat. The people next to them, closer to the church thought he was a girl and named him Sophia. They think that Mama Cat might be their cat that ran away whose name is Jada. I told them if it is Jada, she has a family now. Such a fun working opportunity to thank them for clearing the driveway in December when we got nearly 11 inches of snow. Gave them a little pocket money for their hard work.

I watched the forecast of Hunter Ward this morning on FB live. He is an amateur meteorologist that has a high percentage of being right with his predictions. He has bested the weather people on TV. Our news mainly comes out of the Upstate which is South Carolina and they do a little shout out to those of us in the mountains. Hunter thinks that there might be another inch of snow to fall this evening with the northwest back flow that could occur. This news made me kind of nervous about surgery tomorrow morning and the safety of getting to the office. I had called Roy to talk with him about cancelling the surgery but that would incur a cancellation fee. We figured that fee would be much cheaper than paying for a damaged car since Brenda would be driving me to the appointment. So, I prayed to the Lord, asking for wisdom in approaching the oral surgeon's office and asked for favor and then planned to call them after their lunch hour. The phone rang and it was the oral surgeon's office asking if they could reschedule surgery tomorrow since my surgical kit had not arrived at the new office. What? Yes! Praise the Lord! Wow! Pray about everything, worry about nothing...

Buddy and I are in our official winter repose. We have the fake fire going with heat...she is lying on her favorite blanket on the floor and I am in my favorite chair. I just finished reading Wilma Dykeman's book Explorations. It has been a delight to read. This book is a compilation of her newspaper columns published in the Knoxville paper and some for the NYT. Her writing on the different seasons here struck a chord. I now have a list to refer to in the fall of the leafs turning colors. I may have to quote some of her winter writings on the good old blog. 

I called Brenda on her house phone because she had not responded to her cell phone. We are both quite relieved that we don't have to get out early in the morning, in below freezing temps with the threat of ice. Supper plans can be rethought and if there be onion and garlic, no one will be looking into my mouth to care. We will get above freezing tomorrow sometime and the beauty of the snow will begin to melt away. Surely there will be another snowfall before the winter leaves us for the beckoning of spring.


No comments: