Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Just Stuff In 2018

Happy New Year! It's a little late but Doug and Megan were here and we were out and about or talking or boring Megan. That is always a lot of fun. Megan was here in Asheville for New Years Eve with several of her friends from college. I picked her up on Monday and we had lunch at the Stoney Knob Cafe, came on home and it wasn't too much later that Doug arrived. We exchanged Christmas gifts and I think we were all so happy with our gifts... I was so excited to give Doug our mom's pink coral ring from Hawaii. I don't ever remember her not wearing it. Before she had to go to the hospital, Dad had to cut off her rings. So, Roy and I took the ring over to a jewelers here and had them clean and repair it. Doug and my mom were so close, that ring belongs with him. He gave us some really cool things from the Barn Builders website. Love my easel and drink carrier. Roy is going to try and take that drink holder with opener to the office for his Topo Chicos...no that's not happening. Doug and Megan went downtown yesterday morning, too cold for me, to look in some shops she had seen earlier but winter break is a real thing here my friends. Most of the shops she wanted to go to were on winter break or had winter break hours. So we ate a quick bite here and then headed off to Micaville to shop and made a stop in Marshall and had successful shopping there as well. We tried to go to Sanctuary of Stuff but alas winter hours got us again. Supper was at Twisted Laurel and it was good. I have leftover pizza to keep me fed on this wintry day. This morning they decided they needed to get on back home because of the winter storm looming and the threat of conditions deteriorating rapidly. The sun has come out but it will probably be overcast again by the afternoon.

So, last night after we returned home, Megan and Doug put to good use their holistic practices with ear candles. They have done it and y'all our family can build up some ear wax. The struggle is real. I was a doubter and knew which ear is my worst ear for wax due to previous experience. So we did the first ear and when they cut open the tube, this might be gross for some readers, there was a lot of wax. They said more than when they did theirs. Then we did my other ear, the worst ear, and I will spare the details but it looked worse than the first ear...I was an immediate believer. You are only supposed to do this every six months but I think I could do my bad ear again. I can tell a difference in my hearing, especially this morning. I don't write this to gross you out at all but I have read that when you don't hear things as clearly as you once did, your brain makes that change and it can make you prone toward dementia and the like.

I am still working on my One Word for the year...I think I have found it but want to mull and consider it a little further. Last year the word was flourish and I think that it was the right word choice. As a door closed in 2017 and a new one opened, I don't want to look back for too long. Only long enough to take the lessons learned in 2017 and the emotions that came to the surface in the midst of it all. The only way I know how to ruminate on these things is to be kind of like a submarine.

Submarines are ingenious bits of engineering designed to carry people safely through this very harsh environment.


I've read how the air and water fill and release to submerge the submarine but I think of movies where the crew is shutting off sections with the sealed doors and that is how I get through or sometimes deal emotionally with the unknowns and uncertainties of life. When I am submarining, I usually don't make any of those loud horn or blast noises, but I could if I wanted to.

It looks like our weather turns this evening with wind and dropping temps, not that temps have gotten that high. When I was out this morning you could see ice forming along the edge of some roads but since we have gotten above freezing today, it turned out much nicer than they expected. I think since the weather people were caught off guard a couple of times, this time they leaned toward hype.

No comments: