Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Squirrels Return To Capistrano...I Mean The Backyard

The wintry sky has returned a cold and misty hovering overhead. Looks like an announcing window covering to the weather that lies ahead this weekend. Mainly this view is of the mountains but when it comes to just a view of the sky there are patches of blue and wispy clouds on the horizon. The birds, especially the cardinals, have taken advantage of a full feeder because the Feral Fam hasn't been around at all today. This is not unusual but it seems strange because there isn't snow and the temps aren't too bad. Buddy even seems to miss their presence as she goes to the window every now and then to gaze upon the backyard. Earlier this afternoon she went to the door at the back deck which is a sign that she sees one of the fam and when I went to the window, disappointment because no sign of them. The squirrels have also returned which is also a sign the Feral Fam is not around. I was outside quite a bit yesterday and maybe my presence was more than Mama Cat wanted to abide with so hopefully she has taken her fam to another place and will return. Of course, there is always the obvious reality because life as a Feral is hard and usually short. So, a quick look up in The Google helped as a person shared as they help these wild cats they keep in mind that for that period of time they have done their best, were helpful and kind to these animals that exist with a little or a lot of help. I even found a devotional about what we can learn from feral cats and I agree this time with an outdoor family of cats has been an eye and heart opening experience. Hopefully, they will surprise us with an evening visit or a impatient wait as we begin to stir in the morning. Last night while waiting for Brenda as she was dropping off some delicious homemade soup, I stood there and watched Cali. She sat up on the rocks and watched me. I called to her as I have so many times. Brenda arrived and I pointed Cali out to her and then Brenda and I had a short conversation. When I turned toward the yard again...Cali was gone. That was my last view of her and the fam...I am hopeful for their soon return but if they don't I can withstand the roller coaster feelings with the fact, I was helpful and kind and did my best for them. I mean really, how many cats have their own tent of meeting?

I keep thinking about a couple of errands I need to run and every night I go to sleep with those errands being some of the first things I do the next morning but by the next morning's wake up, I have talked myself out of running them. Only did one of them this morning and that was a trip to The Fresh Market to get tuna fish and maybe a few other supper kind of dishes but they were out of pot pies and nothing else looked good to me. I am such a mood eater.

So I am being to like Topo Chico even more. That sparkling mineral water has become my night cap this week and it seems counter intuitive that I am sleeping better.
*********************************
A rainy and foggy morning might change my plans for the day. No sign of the Feral Fam and these pesky squirrels are taking over the backyard once again. Guess I'll have to notch up my bad fruit throwing skills once again.

Peggy and I got caught up in a two and a half hour phone call yesterday. We vowed to call each other more...oops, squirrel. I think we will try to do that. Roy called in the midst of our conversation and I assured him I would call him back. He said, talk to you this evening. He knows us too well. She called again last night to get the particulars of my ear candling experience.

Twitter reading is interesting these days...on so many levels. I read most of my news from Twitter...Tuesday night the Simpsons were on for background noise and the episode where Homer decides to write fake news on his blog once again is something the Simpsons have predicted before the headlines. With the winter Olympics being marketed by NBC I suddenly have the desire to narrate every move and give out scores. Like the other day in the grocery store parking lot where I was getting ready to turn onto the main lane exit, I noticed the woman in the car coming toward me frantically waving and trying to get my attention because right there beside me, in the opposite lane for traffic was an older woman in a Camry or some other small car, just driving along like it was two lane traffic. The woman in front of me needed to pull in front of me because this woman wasn't going to stop. Cars are dodging her, getting out of her way. She finally comes to a stop, turns off her car and goes into the store. Only thing, she is parked right in the middle of the lanes. That would have been a great film narration. I wonder if anyone got her attention to move her car?

I cannot sit here and while away the hours staring out the windows looking for the Feral Fam. Every little movement, I look up and it is a pesky squirrel. On into the day....


No comments: