Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Staying Warm and Toasty...

When I left the house this morning around 9:00 am, it was still below freezing. For the most part the roads were clear of ice but there were a few places still icy from run off water. Biltmore Village is a lot less crowded in January than in the summer, fall or Christmas seasons. The Corner Kitchen wasn't at all crowded. Since having the scrape in with the utility pole, I just pay the money to park and just like last month got my favorite spot. Went to my hair appointment and learned a lot about my hair as Christine instructed one of their employees in cutting hair on a head with a lot of cowlicks. I had no idea there were so many to deal with. Very informative. While at the salon, an announcement was made that Asheville Schools were being dismissed an hour early, so there was pandemonium and lots of texting going on to make plans for the retrieval of the kids. For a moment I contemplated going over to Origami Ink but took to heart the early dismissal factor and decided it would be best to head back toward home. That included a stop to pick up a prescription, get gasoline and make a winter storm warning stop at Dunkin Donuts. One needs something sweet in the time of ice and snow. The clerk was filling a box of a dozen donuts and turned to me when she was finished and said, these are for home. I told her the theory behind my crazy friend Debbie's plan for bad weather, donuts. I mean the parking lot of Ingles on New Leicester Highway was packed and a line of cars waiting to be granted access. Not a soul stirring at Dunkin.  Would you rather have bread and milk with a side of toilet paper or a donut....I think we all know the answer to that question. Made a quick stop at the Exxon station to fill up the truck and then headed home.

It was as if the Feral Fam was waiting on me to get home. When I went to the backyard to check their bowls, which were empty by the way. Mama cat came out of the tent of napping and sat there watching for the next move. So into the garage, got the food together and took care of the Feral Fam. That freed me up to go down to the road and pick up the garage can to bring it back up to the garage. Mama Cat must have felt that moisture in the air because she was a little impatient with her young uns. They ate and ran...so they must be tucked away in the hidey hole until the snow melts away. Just heard a weather report, we might get more snow than was forecast. Just looked at the radar and the snow is set to fall at any moment. Now that it is dark outside I will have to watch for snow falling in the silhouette from a street light. I'm thankful I don't have anywhere I have to be tomorrow. 

There was some movement outside and the kiddos were back for a late evening snack. I went out and added a few things as well as moved the bowls the steps of the deck. At least their little paws won't be right on top of the cold ground. It has started to snow small flakes so we will see what it looks like in the morning. This is the second time in the last few months that Texas and NC are having the same type weather.




No comments: