Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Snow Is Falling, It's Not Sticking...It Is The First Full Day of Spring

It was a surreal moment today while snow flakes fell, huge flakes and when I got out of my truck at the grocery store, the fragrance of fresh cut grass came across me like a summer day, only it is the second day of spring and it is snowing....at times a lot. Up until an hour ago, it wasn't sticking but it began to fall fast and furious so that accumulation took place. At that same precise moment of accumulation, I am talking with the hospital squaring everything away for my CAT Scan tomorrow. I liked the people I talked with today better than yesterday and I got better answers to my questions, although I did ask the stupid question yesterday so that might have tainted the responses I received.

The day began with no snow...then a little bit and since it was above freezing it felt relatively safe to drive over to Biltmore Village for a color and cut. Those white flakes came at the cars and trucks on the road exuberantly searching for a destination to land and melt. Although Biltmore Village had less traffic and people I kept my promise to Roy to park in the paid lot as not to encounter a rouge utility pole looking for a truck to scrape. On the way in Christine texted that she wouldn't be in the salon until 10:15 and that was fine with me because that gave the unexpected opportunity to have breakfast at Corner Kitchen. Finished up with the hair stuff and did a drive-by at the hospital to find where in the heck I was going tomorrow. Wasn't too sure at the time but the scheduler I talked with today gave some better visual information that helped me know just exactly where I need to be. In this phase of all the construction going on over there valet parking is free but truthfully, I would pay cause valet is the way to go...for sure!

So as earlier written I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, not for bread and milk...but for something a little sweet. The best thing to get for snow is a donut or two that way you have the knowledge that if you begin to crave something sweet, you have a donut and if you don't eat it, then you haven't wasted a lot of money. A fellow sojourner was there at the bakery case and we helped one another by holding open the glass door. She was heading back to the Starbucks line and I finished shopping. Other than cat food the rest of the purchases looked like I was feeding college students, pop corn, iced tea, blood orange Diet Coke...that is kind of like have a donut in the house...more for head knowledge than actual eating or drinking. The best purchase while Lisa was here, cheese straws from the Biltmore. They are very tasty.

And now another weather update, the sun is out, snow has slowed and it is not sticking again. And just like that it is overcast and looks like snow fog in the front and the snow at times falls like rain. At times it whirls about like a tornado. It has been an interesting afternoon's observation.

When I got home with the snow swirling about I checked on the food supply for the Feral Fam who after a day away are back...because it is cold outside. Fed them and the birds before leaving this morning and all the bowls were just about empty. Saw a little bit of Cali's back leg so being the kind compassionate care giver to them, I just about gave them room service by placing two bowls of food nearly under the house. If they do get out to the deck they have a picnic blanket to stand on while eating and it is under the little bit of coverage we have back there. Meanwhile at the bird feeder a small female gold finch kept bigger cardinals and mockingbirds at bay while she ate. That was a funny site to see. 

This morning as I walked over to Corner Kitchen I was thankful for so many things. The sidewalks are brick and mortar and uneven and sometimes hard to maneuver but I was so thankful for good knees and a better sense of balance while traversing the route to breakfast. This afternoon I decided to look at the patient portal and see the results of lab work and tests and the like...not too bad, could be better but since Taylor and I have been doing so much work on my left side strength wise, I wonder if some of those last year tests would be different now. Well, in preparation for tomorrow, holding a good thought that I'll be able to make it, I am drinking Topo Chico. I have had one punch jab these last few weeks for blood work and hope it is due to all the water I've been drinking and the minerals in Topo Chico.

No comments: