Monday, March 19, 2018

Weather, Long Church Services, Dead Geckos and Life

What had been predicted to be a rainy and cloudy day has been a day that began cool but warmed up quickly. The sunshine abundant, plants greening, leaves coming forth and I can finally see some red buds on the red bud tree. Makes one ready for spring and all the beauty that comes with it but word on the internet weather sites say we will have cold temps by the middle of the week and the possibility of some snow flurries. The birds are coming and going and Cali is hanging around just in case one of those birds is unaware. The rest of the Feral Fam are in parts unknown. Like I have written before I have given up on knowing the why and where and what of this Feral Fam. They were all together last night, even Dead Beat Dad but today only Cali is around. Hold the presses...Mama Cat was just here but not too excited about tonight's supper offerings.

Roy is doing one of his favorite things right now, he has gone to Costco. I told him my electric toothbrush is starting to misfire a bit, so that's all he needed to hear. Off to the Costco.

This has been a good day. I have accomplished some things and I have relaxed. My brother called and we had a great conversation...and got caught up. He makes me laugh, he is so witty and funny.
*****************
Well, it is Sunday evening. Got the trash down to the road along with recyclables. Our neighbors are mowing their yards and the fragrance of wild onion permeates the air. It feels like spring but the threat of snow on Wednesday looms. Today, was the first Sunday in a very long time that I have looked forward to Sunday School and church. Due to health reasons, I have stayed away from crowds during the cold and flu season but when I immersed myself into a crowd of 8000 while attending Living Proof last weekend in Boone, it seemed the right thing to do...to get back in the regular habit of going to big church. I had heard the guest preacher was really good so into the service I went. The prayer time today was especially meaningful as the church prayed for the committee formed to search for an interim pastor. The worship music was so powerful and then came preaching. Great points, great thoughts...great encouragement. Then he got to his last point and that's when the wheels fell off. Once again we were held hostage by about eight more sermons being crammed into one and the circling of making that last point kind of was like the never ending story. He talked of foot washing and Exodus and John, several chapters continuing on his point of we are not left alone, Christ is with us. Then he called all the staff, deacons, Sunday School teachers, choir, and volunteers to the front of the church...where we prayed and then while going back to our seats I made the decision to pick up my bed I mean purse and Bible and just keep going out the door. My exodus was joined by other families and people  It was now 1:00 pm. This was my friend Brenda's first Sunday in Children's Church and she had them till after 1:00 pm. One of the first things I learned on staff at First Baptist was, respect your volunteers and their time. It seems the preacher should have been like Jesus if he is going to talk forever, ask for a child's lunch bag, pray and then provide lunch for all of us assembled there. Sometimes when you go too long, people forget your best points and illustrations due to weariness of the derriere. Somewhere between services so timed on the clock in Houston to long sermons in North Carolina has to be a happy medium. This will not detour my attendance but dang, I am going to start sitting nearer to an exit in these coming days.

So I drove away from church not weary in doing good but for sitting so long. It is not often that lack of movement affects my heart but it did today. My circulation took some time to get back to normal. I came home for a brief moment and in that small amount of time, I happened to run over a gecko in the garage. For truth's sake, I ran over half of it thus producing its organs splayed out on the concrete beside it. Heart...and an eye that popped out of its head. Blood...guts...ugh! I grabbed a shovel and flipped that dead lizard out onto the driveway and called out to the birds, Sunday dinner is ready! It was gross but it had to be done. I continued on with plans of going to the grocery store. Got that done and headed home, talking to Roy. I have been asking him for almost two years to complete our will. So today, after talking about regaining good circulation he tells me he is working on my part of our will. Wait! What? Why today? Does he know something I don't know? Does he think I won't survive the ablation I'll be having? Let's just cut to the chase and say, Roy was in work mode, so compassion is severely lacking. Already tired and no lunch yet, it was emotional and let us not forget the biology lesson gecko.
***********
Now we are onto Monday afternoon. Taylor had his DMS machine back in working order and my shoulders were so happy to have the jackhammer back. We worked again on my left shoulder and then worked on the muscles in my left leg that like to bunch up with regular workout. It came to me last night that the nerve endings in my left outside thigh had come back to life last year after a four year absence of feeling. I think the nerves were damaged with the ablation in 2013. We have started working on those muscles and hopefully it won't take as long for them to recover and come back this time.

I made a quick trip to The Fresh Market after working out and also got the heart monitor in the mail to go back to the company that provides them. It was a happy send off for sure. The birds took care of the rest of the dead lizard and the Feral Fam come and go as they are wont to do. Just put out their supper for them with a few treats scattered around the steps.






1 comment:

Etta said...

Oh Nancy - that poor gecko and poor you! I lived in the Seychelles on a mission project for six months and lost count of the number of the poor critters I closed in the doors. On at least one occasion, I toasted one too... had scrambled into the electric toaster, so when I lowered the bread and hit go.... the wee gecko got a bit of a shock. Eugh. Always felt the need to apologise to whatever I'd dispatched accidentally.