Friday, January 14, 2011

Catalogs, Discounts and New Words

Good News! We may have just received our last Auditions catalog if they don't hear from us soon. The catalog is actually in the name of my deceased m-i-l. Of course Auditions is lying because Carol Wright and Casual Living have made the same threats, yet they just keep on sending unwanted catalogs. Last year we went online to a website that helps you get off the mailing lists of catalogs, so that has improved the deluge. We have been receiving a bunch of cowboy and Indians related catalogs, clothing, furniture, books and the like. Me thinks that our name has been sold by the fine folks at the magazine, Cowboy and Indian. Just an observation, but it takes a lot of money to play cowboy and Indians these days. Nothing, not one thing in those catalogs is cheap. The leather chairs they show are drool worthy but too pricey for our budget.

The other day in my F book status I wrote about receiving all kinds of senior discounts on the groceries I bought at Kroger. My self centered self reasoning's went right to; I must look really bad and very old today even though I am wearing a cute workout clothes. The outfit still looked fresh because I hadn't done any stinking workout that morning. When I told Roy about the discounts he told me he had asked about them once when he was checking out and they put senior discounts in effect on our loyalty card. Of course, with his gray hair he is a shoe in for senior discounts. When we are together we get them all the time and of course once again my self centered reasoning had to do with his looks not mine. Well, his hair verses mine which is probably has, OK according to my hairstylist there isn't any maybe about it, some gray hair here and there which is covered on a regular 3 month basis. I take Paul's admonition to women to have their head covered in church as hair hi lighting because hi lighting covers a multitude of sins and gives a little lift and body to the hair. OK, this might not pass in King James but I bet this reasoning would pass in The Message. On our Christmas trip we received AARP discounts on all our rooms except for the Inn. In fact, Roy booked a suite one night at a Hampton because with the AARP discount it was the same price as a regular room. Now before anyone gets jealous and envious, a suite at the Hampton means a little bit more space and a couch instead of a chair. Ah, the life of senior discounts...


Speaking of AARP, we got the bulletin in the mail the other day. I have 50 new words that I need to learn and add to my vocabulary if I want to be relevant and able to communicate with younger generations and young people. Young people, the term that instantly ages you when you use it in a sentence. Like; "we were so happy to see so many young people at the meeting." Or this sentence which will really age and grouch you up; "there are too many loud and boisterous young people at the pool!" Fortunately, I already use some of these 50 words so the learning curve won't be that difficult. I have a word to add to the list, reshrederator. The definition would be a document too thick for your shredder that has to be forcibly removed and then re-shredded piece by piece. So if you are said person who does this on a regular basis and has to wait till your husband gets home so he can fix it, Roy, I mean he would be the reshederator. Really the only new word out of the 50 for me was "sheepie" which means unquestioning followers and the word comes from combining sheep and people.


Well that's about it for today. We are going to look at a condo that is for sale this afternoon. Don't have too many high hopes that this will be the one. So I'm just going to chillax and try not trying to be a hater. If the place is too sad we will have an exit strategy to get out from too many questions by the Realtor. We don't want to tell her it's cheeseball. We are so ready to change locations but I don't want to castastrophize. But who knows it may be more bargainous that we think. We could totally pimp it up and rock it. We know a cool hunter to help design and style the place. If we do find something we will have a open house or flash mob invite when everything is completed. Thankfully our bank isn't a zombie bank.