Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Same Old Thing? I Think Not

Same oh thing? I think not, well not to this warm weather, flat land, and two season Houston resident. I think from time to time in the next few weeks, I will post some of Roy's pictures he took while we were at the Biltmore over Christmas.


We paid Sequisha a visit in the parking lot. I was making another small snowman or snow person to be P C.

Of course this is right before I made the snow person.


I was pitching snowballs to Roy. Struck him out standing, no swings. Guess it is due to the fact he is taking pictures that he didn't participate in the impromptu snow ball game.



All things new since we are in the year 2011 but some things remain the same. The same isn't always a bad thing. We really need some things to remain as they are with opportunities for growth. Today I met Lisa P for breakfast and it is a same thing, but a wonderfully fun thing. We celebrated her birthday over french toast and pumpkin pancakes. We laughed and talked through breakfast and most of the lunch rush. Don't worry that we tied up a table because we tipped the waitress well. Afterwards, I ran into Barnes and Noble to look around, then headed over to Academy which I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything. BUT, the sale rack was just too tempting with great prices...so it is true somethings do remain the same.


On the way home I did do something different. I stopped in at the new shop in the Bayou Bend museum building. Found some coffee that is not only southern pecan but it has cinnamon too. Museums, hotel and hospital gift shops are a treasure trove of interesting items to purchase.



For the past several years I have asked the Lord to show me verses to pray and watch over for the year. This year seemed like a struggle. Oh, the struggle was on my part, not God's. Anyway, I was growing a bit weary and I thought I would never know the verses. Of course I am on my own timeline saying, oh it is Dec 31 God, don't have those verses yet. On Sunday morning, during worship through music, God let me know the verses. I was so excited and familiar with the passage. Then being ungrateful for the revelation, I'm like...God, why such a familiar passage? Don't you think there is something meaningful in the minor prophets or something for me? I repented quickly cause my attitude stunk. So below is my verses for the year and thought The Message would shed new light and vision on the familiar. The Message came through.



Isaiah 40:28-31 (The Message)

27-31Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
or, whine, Israel, saying,
"God has lost track of me.
He doesn't care what happens to me"?
Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening?
God doesn't come and go. God lasts.
He's Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind.



Once again I am drawn to a quote by Erwin McManus and this too is a goal I would love to live out not only in 2011 but for many years, "A life of gratitude makes us WHOLE, overwhelms us with LOVE and moves us to LIVE generous lives." Mark Batterson has a new book coming out on January 18, Soulprint. I'll probably find a lot of good quotes in his book as well...I'm banking on it because I've got quotes from him written all over notebooks and my Bible from his three previous books.
Now we are having the same old thing tonight for dinner. Leftover barbecue sliders from last night. 2011 could be the year of the slider for us.








1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I ran across that verse in The Message last year and fell in love with it all over again.