Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Second Day Back at School...or in Houston

Too bad we don't have any little boys in our lives because our house is big truck/construction central today.  The sprinkler guys are working in the yard laying pipe and the lot behind us is being prepared for the foundation to be poured.  Not only those two things but there's some kind of big cable laying machine running the length of our fence.  It can't be anymore than five inches away from the fence line.  Buddy is rather intrigued by the whole thing and I tried to take a picture of all that machinery but the glare from the sun is too much.  Lots of roaring of engines surrounding me today. 

To celebrate the second day of back to school I went into Houston.  It really wasn't something I was planning to do, but Roy sent an email telling me he had left his Blackberry and cell phone at home.  Very unlike him to do that, but he was so excited to try his new way to 99 that in all the hurry and scurry of the moment, he walked out the door without them.  So, I volunteered to bring his Blackberry to him downtown.  He said not until after 11 and I thought, for sure without a doubt.  Who was he mistaking me for, the early bird?  A type A personality.  Actually, I have been getting up earlier than I did at the condo.  I can now sing Holy, Holy Holy with the real words.  If we sing that song at church, I have to change the words so that I'm not singing a lie.  "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty. Early MID morning my song shall rise to Thee." True words are early in the morning...but that doesn't happen so much so early mid morning seems to fit the bill.  Plan...to leave the house around 9, actuality of exit...9:30ish.  Dropped off the mail and headed into H-town.  Stopped at the condos to pick up a package that had been delivered, stopped at the bank, took some stuff back to the Nord, got organized at the Container Store, and got some great things on sale at Pottery Barn.  (Not seen a rain cloud though)  Next stop, downtown to give Roy his Blackberry.  Then I went to Lowe's and Michael's.  Hit the freeway and stopped in at Home Goods and picked up a hamburger at Mickey D's (no complicated order this time) on my way home.  Happy second day of school to me.  Interesting that every where I went I saw more moms with toddlers out and about.  They probably needed yesterday to recoup.  Well, I didn't see any downtown but you know what I mean. 


In true bloggy, DIY style, I began a project last night.  In true no attention span style, I forgot to take a before picture of my project.  Anyway, I am painting a four shelve wall hangy thing.  So steeped in craft talk.  It is dark brown.  I prepared the thingy, primed it and did a coat of gloss white on it.  Apparently, one can is not enough...but so I thought.  So I went to Michael's and they had two cans left.  Score, it was on sale.  Extra score, ran into Wanda Jean there.  So maybe I will complete my project tonight.  It is just too dang hot to work on it during the day.  So maybe I should take a mid project picture and then one when the job is complete.  Yesterday, considerable time was spent in the casita bedroom because once everything in there is set up, the boxes in the house will diminish. 

My quiet time reading was in II Kings this morning.  Nothing like some evil kings to get one riled up and going in the morning.  So thankful Judah at least had some good kings intermixed with the bad ones. 

Maybe tonight Roy will finish our courtyard patio furniture project.  There's not much left to do on it but the plastic straps holding stuff together might be nice to remove.  It is sometimes overwhelming to think of the things we have left to do.  This evening we can check sprinkler system off the list.  Have my window treatments for the living room and breakfast nook ordered.  Not to fear designer friends, I had professional help for this. I still think these dark blinds look good and all my non professional designer friends do to...the designer types, just give me a weak little smile and kind of have that there, there, you didn't know any better did you...bless your heart look on their face. 

No comments: