Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Uses Time and Materials Wisely, Works and Plays Well with Others

Thought I might go with a school theme this morning since school starts here next week.  This is day two for Roy driving to the Park and Ride and then taking the bus into downtown.  Likes the bus part but is still trying to work out the route he will take to 99.  In fact he left earlier today than he did yesterday and in an email this morning I reminded him that school begins next week and the traffic will be worse.  Come thou fount of every blessing, I knew that is what he thought about that good news this morning. 

Yesterday the patio furniture for the courtyard and for the back porch were being delivered.  Of course you could bank on it, both deliveries arrived at the same time.  Macy's arrived first and began putting the furniture together and taking it around back.  The furniture from Costco was next to arrive and the delivery was anything less than dutiful.  Right from the start the delivery man lets me know he isn't going to take any of the delivery apart, set it up or bring it into the house.  Told him it was going in the front courtyard, so no problem.  I was of the understanding that set up was included in the delivery, but Nancy girl did not read the fine print.  I had to help him get the delivery into the courtyard and I joked about not being a member of the union and I hoped I didn't get in trouble.  Delivery man had no sense of humor and said, there's no union.  Right then and there I should have climbed up on all those boxes on a pallet and yell like Sally Field did in Norma Rae, Union, union, union!!!  But I wanted this guy gone, so I only played out the scene in my mind.  Think he was waiting on a tip and I usually tip delivery guys because it is hard work, it's hot and most go the extra mile to help the customer.  My tip was  pulling the pallet up our steep sidewalk with him pushing the thing.  Not the thing for me to be doing in the heat and with a few heart events during the week. 

So last night after dinner, we went out, we came back home and began to take the boxes apart and assemble our set.  I am so very happy to report that both Roy and I stuck with the jobs we are good at and didn't try to take over the other's tasks.  Roy actually read the directions and understood them.  I read them and once all the jargon about washer K, bolt B, screw A, pvc part H...well you get the picture that I didn't get the picture.  Attention span was gone with the Katy prairie wind.  The evening grew dark and we kept at it.  Never once did we say anything in that aggravated tone of voice, or raise our voices or getting our (read my) feelings hurt.  We cleaned up the mess and kicked it out on the curb for the garbage today.  We were rather persperous and sweaty and I did the majority of my work seated, but we actually put the thing together and it is still standing this morning.

We didn't get a couple other projects taken care of and we still have some assembly to be done on the table.  So, guess Roy and I would both get a + in using time and materials wisely and works and plays well with others.  And you know it had to be a God thing because this kind of stuff is not in our natural or spiritual gifting.  Thus our usual cry of outsource, outsource, outsource became job well done. 

No comments: