Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Almost Missed It and Living Life Like a Tree

Wow, I almost totally missed the Half Yearly Sale at Nordstrom.  Not that I went there today, but saw it on Facebook.  This is an event that normally makes it onto my calendar.  Guess I have been distracted.  I did get online once I got home today and got several sweet deals. 

I believe in 5000 mile check ups with my therapist.  It has been just over a year since I had my last one and with everything we're facing on the horizon, it seemed to be a good time to check in with Cheryl.  So, I had an appointment this morning and as always, life saving and life guiding thoughts were generously poured out.  She has saved my life in so many ways.  I felt so encouraged when I left her office.  It is said that timing is everything and the timing of my visit coincides with some drama that has reared its head today.  Nothing new, no surprises, at least the drama is consistent and no curve balls are thrown in. 

My mom is holding her own.  She was heavily sedated last night, so this morning she wasn't able to participate in physical therapy.  She needs to get up and walk.  Now, I don't know if she'll be taking up her mat and walking like the guy in John 5, but she needs to get up and walk.  She is still able to swallow, so that is very good news. 

I wasn't too sure if I would be able to host the Phase 10 group which is formally known as the Bunco group on Monday night.  I have decided to follow Jesus yes, and I have decided that I can have  everyone over for dinner.  It is not going to be a cool night but we can still drink hot chocky or Diet Cokes by the outdoor fireplace.  I ordered the chicken pot pie today and plan to mix up a little dough in the bread maker.  I am so happy to have these friends over for my first official social event. 

Last week I was reading about the verse that says, the heart is deceitful above all else.  Who can understand it?  The commentary in my study Bible said that mind would be the better word instead of heart.  Yes, that makes much more sense.  The mind is so deceitful.  No wonder Romans 12 tells us to renew our minds.  Who can understand the twists and turns of a mind deceived?  That's the whole thing about being deceived, the deceived one has no idea that they walk in duplicity. 

Wisdom from the Lord
5 This is what the Lord says:
“Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,
who rely on human strength
and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
6 They are like stunted shrubs in the desert,
with no hope for the future.
They will live in the barren wilderness,
in an uninhabited salty land.
7 “But blessed are those who trust in the Lord
and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.
8 They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.
9 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,
and desperately wicked.
Who really knows how bad it is?
10 But I, the Lord, search all hearts
and examine secret motives.
I give all people their due rewards,
according to what their actions deserve.”

I do not want to live as a stunted shrub in the desert, with no hope for a future.  Who would want to live in an uninhabited salty land?  A couple of weeks ago I bought a pendant of a large and mighty oak tree.  I've been wearing that necklace a lot to remind me that if I put my hope and confidence in the Lord, I will be like a tree, planted by the river and such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought.  Their leaves stay green and they never stop producing fruit.  Goes along with Psalm 92.  This is how I desire to live. 

On a comical note, I  almost became Mrs. Paul Revere today.  Somehow I had set the alarm while in the house and when I went to leave all the warnings were going off and counting down till the alarm would sound.  Fortunately, I never had to let anyone know one if by land, two if by sea.  This was my first alarm near mishap.  So glad it didn't develop into anything major. 

No comments: