Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Oops, Another Thanksgiving Week Post

OK, I'm back.  I thought I would at least make it to the weekend before posting again but this blog and writing are helping me cope with situations that are unbelievable.  I'm going to write this again, one of these days I am going to write a book like Ellen Douglas: Truth, Four Stories I'm Finally Old Enough to Tell. Only I may have more than four stories to tell.   Right now I kind of envy my mom being out of here and not having to deal with the daily dramatics that keep one so...well so prepared and on their toes. 

Roy asked me last night if it would be OK to wear his dress jeans, good boots and blue blazer to the graveside service.  He said he wanted to dress like Keith Moore.  I don't know if he can carry off the look.  I can see all my friends who operate under the proper thing to do, cringing at his choice.  Who knows, I just might suggest to him that he wears his service day choice. 

Today my hero, commonly known as Roy, braved the early morning cold and went to HEB to do some shopping for the after the Friday service lunch we are having at our home for family and friends.  We have ordered most of our food from a local tea room but there are few side dishes we needed to add.  He got back with everything on the list...well almost, he didn't get cherry tomatoes, so he is going to go back in the morning and get some...along with more Dr. Pepper Bold.  He loves that drink.  Meanwhile I was doing the predustination before the maid got here.  Roy and I got things in order and then left to run a few errands, like pick up shirts from the cleaners.  You know really fun stuff.  We ate Bar B Que for lunch, went to the bank, and then went to the tea room to pick up our order.  We were a little early, everything was ready but not boxed up.  So we headed across the street to Bill's antique mall.  Little did we know that this trip for the Friday meal would become a little more expensive.  Once we got into the store, we did our usual thing there.  Roy headed for the free cookies and the opportunity to visit with all the older ladies.  I looked around and found a few things but hit pay dirt on my way back to the front of the store.  There right before me was a circa 1900's desk with drop top in the arts and craftsman style of furniture...which I love.  The vendor had just brought it in from her car, it didn't even have all the drawers in it yet.  She gave me an excellent deal.  So she and Roy turned it right around, took it out of the store to Sequisha and loaded it in while I paid for it and a few other fun baubles I found.  We almost forgot to go back and pick up the food.  I was so Proverbs 31 woman with this furniture purchase.  I had almost ordered a chest from Pottery Barn this morning but decided it would be too hard to move the bed to get the extra inches it would need beside the bed.  I saved Roy $700 plus. 

We returned home with the food and tried to get it put up yet stay out of Crisella's hair.  She was in full tilt cleaning mode.  We decided not to bring in the new piece until after she left.  Once we took care of the food, we headed back out the door and to Goode Company to pick up a pecan pie.  If you haven't ever had a slice of their pecan pie, you need to.  Love that HOV going and coming on the Katy Freeway.  We made a couple other stops looking for some gift cards and then headed back home.  Crisella was almost finished but we still wanted to stay out of the way, so we began working on our Christmas decorations outside.  We have our two little trees up.  I will have to take a picture and post it on Facebook.  I got the fire pit stuff out of the garage and set it up on our versatile courtyard table.  Maybe we will do S'mores in front of the fireplace this weekend.  Roy and his safety moment went to the Tractor Store to get some duct tape to secure the extension cords.  I think he just wanted an excuse to go to the Tractor Store to see what kind of deals they had for Black Friday.  He also found out that Bass Pro Shop is open on Thanksgiving.  I see a trip in our future tomorrow.  On his way home he picked up a pizza for dinner.  He is my hero from early morning until dinner time.  :)

Tomorrow I plan to rest up for what will be an emotionally charged and emotionally draining day.  My therapist encouraged me to save up the energy for Friday and then veg on Saturday.  She told me I will be exhausted and I believe her.  It is difficult at times to keep the energy reserves up with the daily drama and details that have hit hard in the past few days.  It didn't have to be this way.  Oh well...

I know that God's grace is sufficient.  That grace has been carrying me for the past two weeks and I don't think God will run out of it sometime Friday morning.  I am thankful I got my thoughts for Friday's service in good form and edited.  Praying that I can honor my mom with them and not slobber through it.  Note to self, put some tissues in your purse.

Once again I wish you a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.  Roy and I have semi planned to eat dinner out and well, that trip to Bass Pro Shop just screams Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I hope everything went smoothly today, and that you feel His peace and comfort tonight. Or as Moriah sings, "tinies of comfer and joy." Love to you.