Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Week Thoughts

Thanksgiving week.  The traffic is no longer on the freeways involving a commute from home to job and back, it is in every conceivable parking lot adjacent to retail establishments.  Roy is one of those Thanksgiving week vacation people.  It has been fun.  We've been staying up late and sleeping in.  We've done things together and done our own things.  Yesterday, I spent a greater part of the day in the land of sugar.  Stevie was able to get me in for highlights.  It actually took longer than the usual time which involves a hair cut.  I'll have to back on Monday to get the cut.  I went a little early to shop the Super Target, the Family Christian Bookstore and Whole Foods. 

Today, we eased into the morning.  We had several things to do here at the house and then we stopped by Peggy's to drop a couple of things off.  What was going to be a few minutes turned into a laugh-fest, so time went by quickly.  Roy finally made all the man motions to let me know he was ready to roll, so we left for our next destination...Target.  We've been debating over outsourcing our Christmas lights or just use this year to decorate minimally.  With everything that has been going on, our attention is somewhat divided.  So today, we decided to just do some candles in the windows, a wreath on the gate and two lit Christmas trees at the gate.  I didn't think there would be any of the pre-lit small trees in an urn but there was one box left.  So Roy had to go back to the front of the store and get a cart.  I thought it best we not get a cart at first because I can find all kinds of things to fill it.  Tomorrow, while we have to be busy or gone while the maid is here, we are going to put up our Christmas decorations.  Many in the neighborhood already have their lights on their homes.  We did a late lunch at Lupe's and then headed over to Mardel's.  Neither one of us have ever been to a Mardel store.  Wow, it was really nice.  Since FBC is changing to the Holman Bible next year, we were able to score two of those babies...on sale and I found a devotion book for next year.  After all the fun we had, we headed home to do one more dreaded chore.  Roy got in the attic and brought down a bunch of our Christmas decorations and frou frou.  For someone who has not decorated their condo for Christmas in many a year, we have a lot of Christmas stuff.  It's going to be difficult going through the boxes because so many of our decorations were either made or bought by my mom.  We also need to re box or repack a lot of the Christmas stuff into containers that have locking lids.  The locking lid containers were much easier to haul down the attic steps.  That is a project to begin on tomorrow.  At this point in the day we were both exhausted.

Last night I didn't fall asleep until 2:00 am.  Right before I fell asleep I began to think about my mother's service on Friday and the words I need to prepare.  I've been using my blog to write out memories and I needed to edit and fine tune.  So many fun stories were making me giggle as I tried to lay or lie there very quietly.  I thought about this antique picture my mom had of Jesus.  It had been given as a gift to her great grandparents.  It is just an oval picture about 6 inches in length and maybe 4 inches wide.  Somehow, I don't remember how it started, but when I was there in the home while my parents were out, I would take that picture of Jesus and hide it.  Sometimes my mom found Jesus in her underwear drawer.  Other times, he would be waiting in her china cabinet or other places around the house.  I went over there once to hide Jesus and my mom had tied the picture to the nail in the wall and requested, as if coming from the Lord, not to be moved and she quoted Psalm 1.  I think my favorite hiding spot was on the switch of a living room lamp.  My parents were hosting their Sunday School class party.  My mom and several of her friends went into the living room and as my mom turned on the lamp, she exclaimed... I found Jesus!  Her friends were wondering if she had rededicated her life or might be making a profession of faith, although they had to wonder about that.  My mom explained, and showed them the picture.  They all had a great laugh.  Once we got the Christmas boxes in the garage, I came in and edited.  My prayer is this, I can honor my mom and get through the whole thing without ugly crying, complete with snot running down my face. 

Sunday evening we went to see the Houston's First Baptist Church Choir and Orchestra experience at Clear Lake Baptist Church.  It was wonderful.  I sat there on the second row and sang just about every song with them.  Well, that is every song with the exception of the Christmas music.  I don't know those songs and apparently neither did Peggy.  She got through the first song OK, but when they sang the Gloria song, complete with Latin, she didn't know a word, much less when to sing.  I peered around John to take a peak and watch Peggy.  She and I got so tickled.  I was laughing so hard, I was crying.  She is singing "stop looking at me" to the Gloria tune.  I knew the whole choir could see me laughing and several admitted looking over in the direction that had my attention and saw Peggy struggling with it all.  They got a little tickled as well, but looked back at John directing to save themselves. 

We bought wind chimes and put them out in the courtyard.  Roy was concerned we would go crazy from the noise but the key is, don't hang them high.  We have them on the fireplace utensil stand that came with our table and chairs.  No utensils came...so we are making it useful until we find some cheap untensils.  I'm really enjoying the background of the chimes this evening. 

Roy has volunteered to go to HEB in the morning.  Bless him.  We need to pick up a few side dishes for Friday's after the service lunch we are having at the house.  I ordered some chicken pot pies, salad and desserts from the Scotish ladies with the tea room.  I was going to make the Paula Deen cheses biscuits again, but decided stress wise, Sister Schubert rolls were the way to go.  We are also going to pick up a Goode Comapny Pecan Pie. 

The page will soon be turning onto another chapter of life.  Friday is the epilogue or it could be the introduction.  I know God is faithful and His grace and peace have been carrying this child for the past two weeks.  Happy Thanksgiving!  That's in case I don't get back on the blog till Saturday. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nancy, I was also at the HFBC choir and orchestra worship experience at Clear Lake Bapt (I live near there) and was blown away with the power of the moment. I truly miss being a part of that group.
Sorry I didn't see you to say hello. Bill Killingsworth

Etta said...

Hi Nancy, really sorry to hear about your mum's passing - though happy for her. I've enjoyed reading your memories of her - hiding Jesus cracked me though. My mum tells the tale of going with her mum and aunts to stay in a rental near the coast one summer and finding a "sacred heart" picture with too piercing eyes - especially for a Presbyterian. It spent the week in the wardrobe and freaked her that Jesus was "watching" her even get her clothes out in the morning. They forgot to replace it and the owner had a fit of the huffs when she came to see them out at the end of the week. In 1940s Ireland that could have started another war...

marty h said...

I loved your mom's story of finding Jesus. I know you got your fun wit from that dear lady. What joy she is having with the Lord! Praise the Lord for our wonderful moms who loved us unconditionally.