Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturdays

When one is not an early riser, it is sometimes difficult to be married to one who loves the early morning wake up.  Around 6:40 am I heard a noise and it awakened me from deep sleep.  Silly me, I thought it was in the middle of the night and either our ice maker was working late into the night or maybe it was the noise of someone breaking in.  Neither, it was Roy.  What?  He got up early because we had discussed going out for breakfast the night before.  I asked if he would wake me up around 7:00 and finally I hit the floor at 7:15.  He is taking off all of next week and already has plans to go to Life Time for early morning work outs.  This schedule is going to totally throw me off. 

Yesterday we went to the memorial service for my friend Patty.  She was a friend from my tennis days.  She was lots of fun, enthusiastic and one of the friendliest people I had ever met.  Roy and I sat with her tennis friends. I was glad to have Catholic friends to the left of me and Roy, former Catholic altar boy, on the right.  This way hopefully I wouldn't faux paux.  Lots of standing and kneeling, singing songs that had different words to very familiar Baptist tunes, and closed communion.  Only Roman Catholics could participate.  It was a beautiful service, actually it was a Mass.  Later on Roy commented that it was one of the sexiest dressed services he had ever gone to.  I didn't notice, I was concentrating on everything that was taking place with the functionary disciplines of the service.  There was a reception afterwards at the Houstonian, but we didn't go.  Instead we went to the Nord to meet Dena for dinner.  We all had a great time, great conversation and great food.  Ah, strength will rise when we go into the Nord, we will go into the Nord.  Afterwards, Dena and I perused the cosmetic and shoe departments while Roy headed over to the TVs in men's shoes. 

When we left the Nord, we made a stop at the Play Grocery Store.  It seemed so strange being there.  I don't think I have been there since August.  How are they functioning without me?  Probably very well, since I only played there.  We picked up a few of their holiday specials and I think our total bill came to $57.00 and some change.  Everything fit into a paper bag.  As we got closer to home we realized we needed to make a HEB stop and since it wasn't very crowded...we stopped.  We bought about $57.00 worth of stuff and we had bags upon bags.  So if you want to stretch your shopping dollar, don't go to the play grocery store. 

A Man Called Peter was on TCM last night.  It has been some time since I last saw it.  This is a movie about Peter Marshall, a preacher from Scotland.  His wife is Catherine Marshall and she wrote several books.  Kind of corny but the Gospel was preached in that movie.  Loved all his sermons.  Kept me up past my bed time.  Thus this brings us back to why I wasn't so happy about being an early riser.  Lot of energy expended yesterday.

So, Roy and I went to breakfast and then he headed on into Houston for Celebration practice, a hair cut and run a couple of errands.  I did some damage at Target and then went to La Centerra for a bit.  I don't have anything to wear for my mom's service.  I could wear what I wore to Patty's, so I found a back up outfit just in case.  Also found a top I can wear to a couple of holiday lunches I've been invited to. 

Just for fun here are a couple of pictures that are a blast from the past.  I tried to get them in order but something must be out of order in my understanding so....

First picture-high school graduation and mom's big hair.  She could only hope her daughter would tease up her hair too, but I chose the long hair hippy look.

Second picture- Easter 1956 or 57

Third picture- Mom bringing me over to meet the grandparents, I think.  Could be just a load of laundry that she wanted to take care of while visiting with my grandparents.

Fourth picture- Family portrait in the early 1960's

Fifth picture- lovely 70's.  Mom and me and she made the dresss.






Finally, I had to end with the coolest 8th grader around.  Notice I have my camera and I am ready for any photo op.

1 comment:

becky t said...

Have loved the memories of you and your Mom. Just great!!! Fun to see the pictures too. I remember some of them. I remember your mom's sense of humor....it was wonderful and I do think I know where you got yours as well. Keep it up.....makes my day.