Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Morning Catch Up

It's an overcast morning out here on the prairie.  The house behind us is ready to be bricked and another house on that block is at the really noisy stage of building.  Buddy has finally settled into her early morning nap and I sit here at the computer catching up on blogs I read and answering some email.  There are several items on the to do list for the day and I hope I get those taken care of this morning. 

It has been a roller coaster this week.  Emotions running the gamut.  Crying at the strangest times.  Remembering things about my mom and writing them down.  I've experienced kindness and thoughtfulness from friends.  Words of encouragement, flowers and expressions of love have been gratefully received.  These expressions have made the week and the start of this new chapter a little less scary.

The mental fog is lifting.  It is getting back into the routine of daily life.  I realized I missed the nation wide emergency testing last week.  Doesn't sound like I missed too much.  The 11-11-11 day passed and we didn't mark it in any special way. 

On Saturday Roy and I went back out to Brookwood and got some more roses and a beautiful bougainvillea.  The bougainvillea is not listed on the HOA's official roster of acceptable plants, so that puppy is on the back patio.  On Sunday Roy planted the roses for me and I re potted the geraniums and supervised the transferring of the bougainvillea into a planter.  My mom loved her garden and worked it all the time until she couldn't remember how to do it.  I am not going to plant any type of garden or do any extensive landscaping at this time, but I do feel a little closer to and honoring of my mom with these meager floral additions. 

Saturday morning, instead of going out to breakfast like we normally do, Roy made pumpkin pecan pancakes.  They were delicious!  Later on in the day Roy started his fence project.  He has already sealed the wood but he is fighting like crazy to keep the fence from turning gray.  The stain Lowe's mixed up for him wasn't quite right.  Too yellow.  He went back and they reformulated the mixture and it is just right.  Roy was so playing the Tom Sawyer bit telling me how much fun painting the fence is.  Uh, yea....I will let you have all the fun Roy. 

Well the day awaits and Buddy is here meowing at me for her morning snack.  Ah, the little things of life. 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I love bougainvilla. Keep it potted and you can prune it (after blooming, I believe, but I'll confirm that). You'll have to bring it in if the temps dip to freezing (thus the advice to keep it potted). They don't like really cold temps. We saw them everywhere in Cozumel - they're gorgeous.