Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My First, My Last, My Everything

It has been a long time but we experienced our first trick or treaters last night.  All the kids were so cute in their costumes.  Most of the kids were 5 and under, but there were a few older ones mixed in.  We opened our gate, turned on the fireplace and sat outside waiting for the kiddos to come.  At first we thought no one would come down our block because we are on a cul de sac and away from the main hub of the neighborhood.  It took a while but finally the trick or treaters arrived. 

Sunday afternoon we had our last snow cone of the season.  Bahama Mama closed on October 31 and we will have to wait until April to have our next delicious treat. 

As many of you know my mom has Alzheimer's.  I HATE that disease.  All diseases are cruel, painful and steal, but Alzheimer's steals the heart and personality and leaves the person a shell of their former selves.  Mom has been in the hospital because she no longer remembers how to swallow.  As we spent time with her over the weekend, she was anitmated, a little more lively and talkative.  Granted, we don't understand a lot of what she says but here and there you can actually hear words.  She even played a game of pulling her blankets up so that her toes were exposed.  She would laugh when we covered them and waited a bit before she pulled her blankets up off her toes once again.  Sunday evening she was evaluated by a hospice nurse.  Monday, we had an appointment with the people from Memorial Herman Hospice.  When Roy and I arrived my dad had a happiness about him, my mom could once again swallow.  She passed the speech pathologists tests and had eaten quite a bit of her lunch.  Of course we were so excited to learn of this news, yet we are some what apprehensive because the Alzheimer's journey is full of twists and turns, forward moving and back stepping.  The Dr seemed quite satisfied that she could go to skilled nursing and so last night around 5:00, she was transferred to the place my dad has picked out.  We are hopeful and we trust God.  Even though I slept in today, those new mercies were there waiting and God's new mercies were waiting for my mom when she woke up.  You know I have written this before, but when we sing the Doxology at church, I have to change the words from "early in the morning" to "early mid morning my song shall rise to Thee." 

It is difficult seeing my full of life mother like this, but in all of this, she still has a sense of humor.  I was singing a hymn to her on Saturday and she looked at me and began her way of singing, I hope.  It just happened to sound like a dog howling when something hurts their ears.  Hopefully, that wasn't commentary on my singing.  She still knows how to give kisses. 

Saturday evening I realized I had never seen my mom's hands.  She kept them under the covers.  My mom has always had the most beautiful hands.  Always soft to the touch.  Starting as a child she had me using hand lotion after every time my hands had touched water.   Saturday as I was praying for my mom and dad, I asked the Lord to see my mom's hands once again.  God gave me such a gift!   On Sunday, we couldn't keep her hands under the covers.  She held my hand and even did that little swingy thing you do when you hold hands with the ones you love.  There they were those beautiful hands, with a few more age spots, but those age spots only enhanced their beauty.  I always look at people's hands even though they say that the eyes are the window to the soul, I think hands tell the story of a persons kindness and gentleness. 

Late Saturday afternoon, Roy and I stopped at Brookwood to buy some plants.  We got two rose bushes and some geraniums.  My mother has always had such a green thumb and I wanted to honor her by planting the roses in the front flower bed.  HOA flower rules be danged!   When we mentioned buying and planting plants to her yesterday, she had a moment that seemed to say she knew what we were talking about.  I cannot tell you how many times I have thought, oh I need to call Mom and ask her about this plant or that tree. 

The roller coaster will continue it's wild ride and we know that God knows every thrill to be experienced and every scary moment that will happen.  His grace is sufficient.  I have experienced the peace that passes all understanding.  I figured since I am wearing this heart monitor for the month that this weekend my readings would be all over the place and that I would have more episodes than usual.  I've not experienced one while being with my mom.  I am thankful for that. 

If you think of us, please continue your prayers for our family. 

No comments: