Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Post of 2012 Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!  If I made New Year resolutions, I would have already broken about 4 or 5 of them by 10:00 this morning. 

Our new year eve was rather dull and unexciting, but by the sound of it, many neighbors were having a loud and booming time.  After living in Houston for so many years where fireworks are banned, it sounded like the demilitarized zone here instead of where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet  When the wind comes right behind the rain....yeah...oops, too much Oklahoma influence from Friday night.  There is one empty lot behind our home and I think it was a major launching pad for the banned flared and rocket on a stick fireworks.  I could hear the dirt being blown up against the fence.  There were several other launching pads in the neighborhood on down the way.  The noise scared Buddy and I was happy I didn't experience any traumatic flashbacks from our days years ago living in the hood where the noise wasn't from fireworks but guns.  Guess it sounds like I am complaining but I'm not, really.  It was just that we had forgotten that we now live in the land of legal fireworks.  What's funny is, the fireworks were mainly shot between 7-9 pm and when midnight arrived, there were a few pops and bangs around, but nothing like I thought it would be.  Guess they shot up their stash.  In fact it was Roy saying it is midnight that woke me up out of a very sound sleep.  Anyway, back to the exciting evening.  I bet you thought I had already forgotten the beginning of the paragraph.  I was on the couch reading, listening to the TV and texting with Emily, who was having just as exciting night as me.  Roy worked on his website for most of the evening.  So that is how we closed out 2011. 

This morning Roy got up early and went to the gym.  He called me a little before 8 to wake me up and then we met at Black Walnut Cafe for New Year's Day breakfast.  The music tract was still for Christmas and I hoped expectantly to hear Merry Christmas Darling so I could tell CourtneyS and Linda that I heard it first for 2012.  Afterwards, we headed over to Lowe's to pick up a few things.  Guess you can tell from our activities this morning that we didn't go to church.  Well, we played sabbatical like so many others did this morning.  Right now Roy is out painting the fence, again.  He is determined not to have the fence turn gray.  He is doing a great job.  I am going through things and getting a few things ready to take over to Katy Christian Ministries later this week.  Then I stopped to write.  Who knows once he stops his painting when I will get the computer back. 

We have really enjoyed the outside fireplace and the fire pit during the holidays.  We have roasted marshmallows and hot dogs and made s'mores.  Using the fire pit makes one rather campfire-ry fragrant.  We got the decorations taken down and stored in the attic on Tuesday.  Next year I think we are going to rent a storage unit for decorations.  In fact on Friday Roy and I decided to do some more exploring of the farm to market roads going toward Richmond/Rosenburg.  We enjoyed our sight seeing tremendously and ended up at an Ace Hardware store.  Now we were going in for a few loose screws...uh it would be so easy to comment more about that but I'm sticking to the story.  We ended up Christmassing with Ace by buying quite a few Christmas decorations for next year that were marked down 50 to 75%.  I've got the newbies stored in plastic storage boxes and waiting for Roy to take up one more box to the attic. 

Thursday night I went into town and met Dena for dinner.  Some years we go out and eat at a fancy place and other years we go to the same o same o places that we are familiar with.  This was a Fu's Garden year, so nothing fancy.  It wasn't busy and we knew that they wouldn't be pushing us out the door once we had finished eating fortune cookies.  We did eat something new, well new to me and it was totally delish!  Kind of funny, when paying for the meal I told the waiter to keep the change.  That would have been great except he returned to our table, kind of threw the change down at me and said here is your $1.98 change.  Oh my, I kept thinking that I had a $10 bill and it was a $ 5.  I apologized and left him a really nice tip.  We made a stop at Starbucks and then drove around looking to see if any Christmas lights had been left up in the area.  I got home around 10:30 and was so happy to watch the rest of the longest and funnest bowl game, Baylor beating Washington.  It was exciting and I was happy to watch other bowl games this weekend that I wasn't pulling for one particular team.  That makes the games much easier to watch.  Of course our next big game that we will be interested in is the Championship game and we cheer for LSU.  Roy met our across the street neighbors...LSU supporters. He attended LSU but graduated from Georgia Tech.   That makes 3 out of the 6 houses on our block LSU graduates and supporters.

One more day of vacation for Roy, then it is back to the routine for him.  That kind of affects me because I get up earlier than I have been this past week.  I will have to be up and on the road Wednesday because I have a Dr appt in the Medical Center. 

Happy New Year's Day!

No comments: