Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sayings, Compliance and Tells

Today I grabbed a cough drop and noticed the writing on the wrapper.  There are several affirmations on them.  Stuff like keep your chin up, put a little strut in it, bet on yourself, inspire envy, flex your can do muscle, get through it and many more.  What?  Really?  Affirmations from your cough drop wrapper?  I want that cough drop to alleviate any cough due to cold or a lingering heart cough.  The little sayings should be, cover your mouth when you cough, quit sniffling and blow your nose, don't forget to wash your hands and if you hock up a lugie, take care of it quietly. Reminds me of some jammies I had and on the cute little decorative draw string were sayings and words to live by, NOT!!!  Yes, I know saying not is not in vogue, well neither is vogueing...it's dead to me.  Ah yes, finally a trendy saying. 

I met Laurie M for lunch today at Bistro N.  That's what they are calling the Bistro in the Nord now.  I came a little early to do some shopping before lunch  We had a great time and we stayed around after we finished eating.  Guess the constant check back and take away of things until the table was empty was the BIG hint to leave.  A lot of the world's problems are solved in the Bistro and I don't know why no one will listen to our well thought out solutions. 

Roy sent me an email today with an invite to go to a dinner one of the nights we will be in Washington DC for the Compliance Conference.  I asked what was the dress attire and he told me sport coat and tie.  Uh no, don't think that would be an option for me.  The only reason I would like to go is because it is at some historic hotel right across the street from the White House and the views are said to be astounding.  I have to weigh that with, it's a major accounting firm hosting a dinner that has to do with internal compliance.  Certainly I would have to bring something along to keep me amused because you know Dodd/Frank, Sarbanes/Oxley, and Ebony and Ivory are just riveting subjects to me.  I had a phone long time ago that had some great animation that kept me mesmerized during boring subject matter and shop talk.  Maybe I can find a fun app or something.  I asked Roy if he really wanted me to go with him and he's not sure. We are staying at The Mayflower and he said it is about 8/10 of a mile to go to the dinner and he would like to walk.  If I am in heels, nah.  I'm thinking room service or something like that for me would be best.  That way I don't have to bring dressy type clothes and one of my least favorite things in the world to do is be Mrs. Monarch instead of just Nancy.   

I started writing this post late on Wednesday night.  Now I am eating breakfast and preparing to go to Bible study. It's our last day of Hebrews and we begin Philippians homework this week.  I have learned a lot from Hebrews but I am ready to move into another book. 

When you go to Israel you see a lot of places with the word Tell or Tel in front of the name of the place, like Tel Dan.  I read the other day what the meaning of tell or tel is.  A tel is a mound formed over hundreds of years by the repeated destruction of a city and it continual rebuilding on top of the accumulated ruins.  This information tuned me into my own tells.  I have a stack of magazines that I  plan on reading.  From time to time I go through them and either finally read or finally recycle them.  Yet, I keep piling new magazines on top of the old.  So I shall now name the spot where the magazines are stacked, Tell NewSoOpSimpOxLady.  Translation, the huge stack of New Yorkers. Southern Living, Oprah, Real Simple, Oxford American and Southern Lady.  There is also a smattering of Garden and Gun magazines. 

I'm excited!  Our plantation shutters are being installed Saturday morning.  Sooner than expected.  Now I must go clear out a few 'tels' in the casita bedroom. 

No comments: