Monday, March 18, 2013

Treks, Mud Bugs, Brunch and Adventure

We are in the last days of winter but dangerously close today of skipping spring and going right into summer.  Have to love Texas weather.  The rest of the week we are being told will be cooler and I so hope that is true.   Saturday afternoon as Roy and I attempted trek riding it was hot and the wind relentless.  I've had a couple of days where the breeze was strong but Saturday wore me out quickly.  I was trying to impress Roy with how far I had come from riding but I don't think he was impressed.  I also blame the differences in our two treks.  Mine is a little different on the gear shifts so I struggled a bit with that as well.  We did ride 2.54 miles, actually I rode 2.54 miles.  Roy kept riding after safely seeing me home where upon I hydrated even more and took a nap.  This morning's ride was totally different, not much wind and overcast.  It made for a more enjoyable ride but I have quite away to go to catch up with Roy's speed and mileage. 

See, I needed my rest to be in tip top condition to rip mud bugs apart.  We met Bill and Peggy and two other couples for dinner at Good Ol' Boys.  The crayfish hot.  The music, loud zydeco.  If you didn't order crayfish for dinner chances of getting your order, slim to none.  Only the three of us who ordered crayfish got our orders in a timely fashion.  Bill got his much later and his dinner was cold.  Roy and three out of the other couples didn't get dinner at all.  They ended up at Sonic.  We went to HEB.  But Peggy and I had the chance to play with our food.  Not that the chance isn't there at every meal, but crayfish...  Almost as much fun as when we played with our St Peter fish dinner off the Sea of Galilee.  Peggy and I could probably have fun with fish sticks and the fillet o fish from McDonald's.  We are much too easily entertained and amused but we could because we actually had our dinner served not unlike everyone else.  Let me also share there was some good people watching.  Not good people, but people who deserved our stares and comments to one another.  Nothing like four beer buckets to loosen up a crowd.  Four women, three of whom were wearing sleeveless shirts and should have known better, were up dancing around to the music.  Ugh!  Almost ruined our buckets of mud bugs.

After missing several which usually means three but in our case more like five Sundays of church, we went to church yesterday morning.  No, the building didn't implode.  We opted out of Sunday School for the good of relinquishing a parking place on site and I guess since it was the last spring break Sunday there were many open spots for the 11:00 crowd.  We had about an hour to waste before meeting friends at Le Peep for brunch which actually was breakfast since all of us ordered breakfast type food.  What better way to spend an hour?  Go to Nord Rack.  I could have easily been singing I Love the Nord and I Go to the Rack, both songs by Whitney Houston from the Preacher's Wife, as we went inside the store.  I did find three cute summer tops.  Roy contemplated a pair of shoes but decided against getting them.  We had a fun brunch with Emily, David, Peggy and Bill.  Good thing we don't live near a Le Peep anymore because the cinnamon pecan pancakes are yummy. 

The past two nights have held adventure both around 2:00 am.  I've shared my concerns if I had any type of emergency in the middle of the night.  The few heart events I've had at night, Roy has been consistent.  It takes forever to wake him up and when I tell him I'm hurt, in pain, or think I'm dying, he does the same thing.  He gets up and runs to the front door.  Doesn't matter if it is here or when we lived at the condo, he runs to the front door.  Upon arriving at the front door he has awakened enough to know he needs to return to the bedroom and help me.  So Saturday night I hear Roy crying out my name and I awoke immediately, did not run to the front door or pass go or get $200.00.  I asked him what I could do, what was wrong, how can I help?  He was having a really bad charlie horse right along his shin.  I got the Bio Freeze and liniment to help ease the pain.  He relaxed and fell back asleep.  How nice, because I can't go back to sleep wondering if it really was a charlie horse or something more serious.  I only thought that because several years ago he woke up with really bad cramps and as soon as he stood up, he fell, stiff body to his right and hit his head on the nightstand.  I thought he had died.  So until I could finally relax and go to sleep I woke him up about every 15 minutes to check on him.  Last night around 2:00 am I heard him walking around the bedroom and then went into the bathroom and shut the door.  He never does that in the middle of the night. Oh, he goes to the bathroom, he never shuts the door.  I called out to him and he told me he was checking on his watch.  Uh....ok.  I asked him again what the Sam Hill was happening and he told me he was worried about his lunch.  I finally got him to wake up.  He has never, to my knowledge, walked in his sleep.  That is more my department.  Here's hoping that my baby sleeps through the night tonight.  These 2:00 am wake ups are difficult.  Maybe I should just start running to the front door like Roy in the middle of the night.  Maybe he's on to something. 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I'm gonna give leadership to you on letting me know when we can do a tbd. I miss you!