Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

I'm debating on whether to trek or not this morning.  Last night and early this morning my leanings were toward not but as I've been awake and moving around a bit, I'm thinking I might make a few laps around the water feature. 

Yesterday afternoon I attempted to stay out of the way of the housekeeper.  I had several errands to run.  Finally got batteries changed in three watches and while waiting I looked at pocket watches.  We picked up a cheapy at The Biltmore for Roy.  The watch I gave him several years ago for our anniversary has proved itself to be a tad cumbersome.  That sucker is a huge watch.  I bought a new pocket watch for Roy yesterday that is really cool and I gave it to him last night.  I knew I couldn't keep it from him until our anniversary.  He loved it!  I also stopped in Target, yes I know I said it was off limits during spring break, but there were a few things we needed.  I also picked up some stuff that I didn't know we needed.  I was in there for maybe 30 minutes and the whole time there was one child who screamed the whole solid time.  They even took breaths while screaming.  Loaded up the car and headed to Brookwood to look at plants and for the first time ever, I came away empty handed.  I tried marigolds last year and I killed them...marigolds are supposed to be hearty plants but they weren't as hearty as they need to be in my garden.  I have had better luck with zinnias and snap dragons. 

Last night I heard this big sloshy sound coming from the laundry room.  Roy was bringing in a few things from the car and he accidentally dropped some Ocean Spray Cranberry/Pomegranate juice.  We were trying to be quick about getting it all up but we disagreed on the method that would be the most helpful and would get the stain out before setting.  The juice was quickly being absorbed by the grout.  In this specific case neither one of us wanted to give leadership to the task, we both wanted to tackle it.  Roy and I very rarely argue.  Oh back in the day it was a daily happening but being married all these years we have learned that arguing is a futile exercise and we now pretty much hold the same ideas, except when it comes to juice clean up.  I think we upset Buddy as well as ourselves.  Long story short, arguing didn't last long, we both apologized, our combined efforts have the grout nearly restored to original color and we got the job done before the new episodes of Duck Dynasty. 

It has been an interesting season of reading.  I just finished The Resignation of Eve, What if Adam's Rib is no Longer Willing to Be the Church's Backbone, by Jim Henderson.  The interviews and the Barna research are heart and eye opening.  The stories tell of the different ways women resign, by giving up hope in the situation or resign by leaving the church.  In the light of recent news in the election of a new pope, The Vatican Diaries has given me a little more insight into the behind the scenes happenings when a new pope is selected.  I think the next choice of reading will be something in the light fiction genre. 

I trekked this morning after all.  It was beautiful.  I learned a couple of things though, the earlier you go almost everyone on the trails are Asian Pacific couples.  When you go later like I did this morning, it's a lot of young moms running with or without babies.  Also when you go later the chance of getting sprayed by sprinklers increases 50%.  I'm sure when it is warmer I am going to love that but today it is warm enough but downright chilly when doused. 

The housekeeper ate almost all my chicken salad yesterday so guess I'll just have to return and get more. 

1 comment:

AyDubb said...

That's exactly why I can't go to Wal-Mart. Or Target. Or the mall. Or anywhere where there will be children who scream and parents who ignore it (and make the excuse that they just learn to ignore it and the kid will eventually stop). Those places leave me with elevated blood pressure! :-)