Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Great Way to Close Out a Weekend

Sunday evening that closes out a great weekend.  The weather has been perfect, projects accomplished, lots of fun and some treasured thought filled time.  I just came in from planting a flat of zinnias in the back flowerbed.  We finished up getting the flowerbed ready for planting on Saturday.  Think Roy feels like if he never has to lift another bag of dirt, he'll be a most happy man. 

Yesterday Roy fixed breakfast for his men's Bible study and then ran to Sprouts before the crowd hit.  We put up groceries and then worked outside a bit.  We decided to go back and try J-Dub's in old Katy.  It was ok.  By the lines and wait time you would have thought these were the best things going.  Cute place though.  We drove out to Brookwood and bought a flat of flowers for the front yard.  Then we ran over to Enchanted Garden's for two flats of zinnias.  We worked in the front yard getting flowers planted and this evening I planted a flat of zinnias in the back. 

I never feel anymore closer to my mom and her mom than when I am out working in the yard.  I sat on the back patio and thought about my mother's touch with flowers especially the house they bought when they moved back to Houston.  Her backyard looked like a professional had designed and landscaped it.  As her Alzheimer's progressed her garden digressed, but gardening was one of the last things about her to fade from us.  Last Friday I had an eerie experience.  I was coming out of Coldwater Creek and as I headed over to the car, in the distance I saw the silhouette of a woman and her profile and clothes looked exactly like my mother right down to her hairstyle.  It stopped me dead in my tracks because I almost ran down to where this lady was.  I had an experience like this when my mom was still alive and functioning, long before the disease hit.  I was in Randall's and I thought I saw my mom checking out.  So I go behind this lady put my hands over her eyes and say, "what are you doing here?"  The lady screams, I scream and security comes out of hiding.  Before they cuffed me or hauled me away I apologized to the lady and told her she looked exactly like my mom.  Then she said is your mom's name___________?  She went on to say she had been approached many times shopping or out and about by friends who thought she was my mother.  Needless to say, they did not cart me away to jail or anything.  I didn't want a repeat experience Friday, only this time I knew it wasn't my mother.  I stood there and watched this lady interact with her daughter and granddaughter and I was grateful to have had that small glimpse to remember my mom. 

So Roy filed our taxes before church.  That is just a funny thought to me.  We got up, got ready for church, filed our taxes, it was accepted by the IRS and we were on our way to church.  I'm not quite ready to go back to the loft in choir.  So, I sat out one more Sunday but we moved a section over.  Better lighting and it felt like there was a little more leg room. 

Well, I better go and finish up homework.  I also need to finish up my devo that I am giving on Tuesday morning. 

1 comment:

Blog Admin said...

Saw you up there this morning! We can't wait to have you back! Ps- did you get a new do?!?