Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lost in Another World

It was at the age of 16 when I became a believer, not to be confused with the Monkee's song "I'm a Believer.  CourtneyS, you can thank me later for that ear worm.  Anyway, since the age of 16 it seems like I have read Philippians a million times.  Philippians was the book of choice when I didn't know what else to read in the Bible.  Philippians spoke loudly to me because I could so identify with Paul, writing about joy in the midst of difficulties.  He was under house arrest in Rome.  Of course I wasn't under house arrest when I was 16 but I was grounded a lot and in my 16 year old, prone to hyperbole and dramatic mind, it felt like house arrest.  This week in Bible study we have been studying Chapter 3 and I have learned a whole passel of things that I never learned, got lost in my attention span or never heard it taught the way CBS is leading discussion and homework questions.  When Paul writes his list of credentials and believe me what Jewish mother wasn't behind the scenes trying to get their daughters introduced to this nice Jewish boy, everything except that part about killing Christians and witnessing Stephen's stoning are pretty good  Of course he wasn't a Doctor but his family background, cultural, religious and education backgrounds almost made up for that.  I think almost every time I have heard someone speak on Philippians 3 the emphasis has been on all the bad things that we thought were good things, you know popularity, being smart, drinking and never having a hangover all wonderful attributes to have living in the world are rubbish to us now but Paul is really emphasizing that good gifts from God can draw us away from reliance on Christ, our advantages and achievements, our talents, our confidence.  (love me a run on sentence)  Those are all good things that can become false idols or gods.  When I played tennis sometimes your "PR" proceeded you and you'd have to be very careful not to believe everything that was being said.  Like, she has a killer serve, her forehand is illegal in 48 states, her backhand used to be her weakness but don't concentrate on that and the like.  If you went out on the court relying on what was being said, you were a dead duck.  If you get puffed up over those abilities, they'll leave you in a heartbeat.  It's about discipline and not getting by on natural talents and abilities.  Think Paul was a natural at being zealous and studious?

In our discussion this morning we touched on our backgrounds or talents or abilities, all good things, that keep us from experiencing, I count it all rubbish in order to gain hold of life in Christ Jesus.  We understand that we can't be good enough, funny enough, even studious enough but there are times when knowing that conveniently disappears as we try to make things happen or respond in our own strength and weaknesses.  I was talking with a friend the other day about men and women  that  are older who will use the same ploys and tactics that worked for them when they were much younger.  These qualities that might have been useful in forcefully making things happen in the past and seemed like such a talent are now holding many back from living out authentic and life changing lives.  It is really kind of sad to watch.  Personally I know that sooner than I will like my humor and comments are only going to look like a grumpy old lady.  We all have our talents to bear and to let God have.

I know this is not really what I write about or in the style I write but it is something that has my attention. 









No comments: