Saturday, April 20, 2013

Danger and Adventure on the Prairie

We have a roaming skunk out here on the prairie.  Our neighbors saw it first in their yard and last night Roy saw it in the front flowerbed, eating my plants.  On Thursday night the animal control guy came out to see if he could find it.  Good thing we were warned that he shows up with a 22 rifle because with all the news from Boston, I think we are all have been a little skittish this week.  Sure enough we were eating dinner when and I kid you not, a man shows up in the backyard carrying his rifle and he looks like Teddy Roosevelt, even to the wearing of a rough rider type hat.  He told us we might want to look under the transformer thing in our backyard to see if they have made a nest there.  Uh, hey Teddy, I thought maybe you might be the one to look.  You're the professional and my only experience with skunks is with cartoons.  You have a rifle! You are a professional!  Now do your job sir! Of course if any of us heard a gun shot on Thursday or Friday night, the neighborhood would be in a panic.  When we saw the skunk in our yard last night, we called Teddy again.  He had to go shoot a dog first, I don't even want to know, and then after he had gone all Atticus Finch with the dog he called and asked Roy to go outside to see if the skunk was still eating supper in our yard.  Roy didn't see him so I don't think the animal control guy even came out here.  So today, we called the professionals and we also did our Google research.  Roy is out right now getting all the necessary natural supplies to deter the skunk from our house.  We think he might be living in the cul de sac greenery and that my friends is a job for the HOA.  We will be calling on Monday cause in our rules, skunks are not acceptable.  Roy went all "man up" wanting to go to Katy Hardware and buy a trap.  I went all "woman reasoning" and asked him what were we going to do if we caught said skunk?  And Pepe Le Pu would be stinking up the joint.  Glad we both decided it was time to call the man.  That is what we say when we need the professionals to do the job.  We say that a lot because neither one of us is very good with stuff.  Yes my friends, living on the prairie is full of adventure and danger.  If it's not mockingbirds on the attack, it's the skunk in the front yard.  If it's not the toad that scares you to death when you're digging in the flowerbed, it is the constant watchful eye for snakes. 

I was able to get out and ride my Trek this morning.  It has been way too windy.  Such a beautiful day to be out and about.  Then I came in and ordered a chest from Crate and Barrel.  We already have one and decided that we wanted another one to go on my side of the bed.  The Bedford chest has a rustic look about it and it fits in nicely with our casual, rustic, country and kitchen sink decor.  They are delivering it next Saturday. 

Like most of the country we were glued to the news last night.  I really like reading Twitter while watching the news because Twitter is much faster with updates.  In fact on Monday, I saw the news of the marathon bombing and when I turned on the TV none of them were covering it yet. 

Yesterday friends from my tennis days Beth and Cris came out to Rancho De Five and met me for lunch.  We had the best time and we just picked up where we left off from seeing each other several years ago.  It was as if we had played tennis the day before.  True to form Las Alameda's didn't rush us off and we sat there and visited and had the best time.  We are planning another lunch soon in town at Cris'.  She and her husband live in a high rise now.  How fun is that? 

Meeting a friend later for lunch and then have a dinner party to go to this evening.  Look at us being all social on the weekend.  Maybe it's for the best since I usually love working in the flowerbeds on Saturday afternoon.  Don't want any chance meet ups with a skunk cause if I do I'll have to stay home in case of skunk funk.  No one wants that!

No comments: