Monday, April 1, 2013

Unexpected

Last week and today has held some unexpected moments.  Of course I think of the beautiful sunrises out here on the prairie and the moments of bird watching that keep Buddy and I entertained every afternoon.  There are unexpected moments of making new friends.  Sometimes the unexpected comes as a beginning and sometimes unexpected moments come as the end of a season.  Right now, I haven't a clue where we are in this, beginning or end or even middle, but I do know it is important to know that transitions have many stages and it's important to stay present in whatever the stage.  Too often in beginnings we are already thinking about the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, and miss the middle of the transition.  We can jump to conclusions and imagine all sorts of situations and really 95% of what we worry over or get anxious about never happen.  It's like wasting time practicing conversations that aren't going to happen but we think we have to be ready in case.  So while I wait I do what I normally do when unexpected shows up, I rearrange furniture.  Just the act of new arrangement supports my heart and spirit as I pray for wisdom.  It also helps with nervous energy.  And I laugh when I move furniture.  I know, weird.  I blame it on helping my crazy friend Debbie and her mother years ago when I helped them move a huge, heavy and cumbersome chair up a flight of stairs.  The sounds her mother made as she pulled the chair up one step at a time made Debbie and I go weak with laughter.  In turn we were no more helping her lift that chair, which made her mother grunt even more which made us laugh even more.  I am rearranging the living room by trading my sorrow, I mean my couches with the wing back chairs.  It opens more light into the room and with spring here and with a bit of cleanup of the back patio this weekend, I decided to bust a move.  I am ever so grateful that I am feeling good enough to bust a move and totally date myself in the vernacular.  There a few logistical issues with one table but I think the solution I came up with will work.  This arrangement of furniture is not a good as the original but it is different, light, bright and it was useful in prayer focus.  And score unexpected find of an extension cord. 

In the midst of unexpected also came an unexpected request.  I love how God uses these tough places to maneuver His spotlight just right onto our hearts and intentions.  I don't know if this is like a Abraham experience or not.  So fresh on my mind since we just completed a huge study of Hebrews.  We did learn last week that our Teaching Director is stepping down after sixteen years of sacrificial and dedicated service and ministry to the Katy and Rancho De Five community.   Since meeting her at the hospital last month when she came to wait with Roy, without even ever meeting him, and greet me as I came out of the recovery room, Roy has had such high esteem for her.  Her familiar voice is what I heard as they began to take me from recovery to my room.  She stayed and visited, most of which I can't even remember, but I do remember she prayed with us before she left.  The one year I didn't enjoy Bible study and would find any excuse not to come, it was Jennifer and Peggy that got me there more times than not.  Jennifer's fresh insights in teaching and Peggy's friendship.  Now I can also call Jennifer a friend.  I am excited about the new Teaching Director that will lead our group this coming fall.  Just getting to know her in leadership has been incredibly fun, she's got a great sense of humor and deep insight into the Word. 

The sunrise service that Roy planned on attending unexpectedly was cancelled because the church hadn't asked for permission to use the facilities they were planning on using.  Roy looked for another sunrise service in the area but he couldn't find one.  So instead of being like the women who went to the tomb early to prepare Jesus' body and found He was risen, we were more like the disciples in John 20:10 staying home waiting to be told.  I did watch part of the church web cast though.  On FB I noticed my friend Bev had gone to a sunrise service in San Felipe and it was the 73rd annual sunrise service.  So we are feeling confident that there will be a 74th and will make plans accordingly.  We thought about going to a service close to us but the thought of trying to find something Easterish in my closet overwhelmed me.  I really haven't made the seasonal transition to spring due to the coolish temps the last of March.  I don't know where I read the following this Easter season but it has certainly given me something to ponder and meditate upon.  John 20, the Resurrection and Mary Magdalene has gone to the tomb, the angels ask her why she is weeping and she tells them, they have taken away my Lord and I do not know where they have laid Him.  Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing.  Only she didn't know that it was Jesus until he spoke to her.  Maybe this was Liz Curtis Higgs that wrote about this but she emphasized that MM looked into the tomb, already feeling sadness and feelings of lost hope, but when she turned....she saw Jesus...then He spoke.  Talk about an unexpected moment for MM!  How many of us are looking into our own supposed lost causes and hopes.  I can stand there looking into the places where my dreams and hopes go to die or I can turn away from looking into the past or dreams destroyed or questions concerning the future or next season of life and see the Lord.  Looking to Him the author, finisher and perfecter of my faith and wait for His Word to comfort, renew and direct me to do the next thing.  

This weekend I was unexpectedly contacted by my very first tennis partner from way back in the day when we were members at The Met.  Cris and I are about the same height and we both had a lot of power but little control.  We scared a lot of opponents and they ducked when either of us had a forehand volley, they would ask us, was the ball in or out.  We would say, we saw it in.  Cris and Beth C from tennis and the niece of Mrs. Baker are two of my favorites.  I did Mrs. Baker's correspondence and wrote her checks out for her.  Anyway, long story short we are going to get together for lunch this month and I am totally excited about that! 

When Roy gets home it will totally be unexpected that I've rearranged furniture and hopefully get all the Easter decorations put away.  Of course he will expect that I haven't emptied the dish washer because that is one of my least favorite things to do.  We can do that together tonight and have quality time.

1 comment:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

so happy you are doing good.....love you.