Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Week and A Long Post About the Week

The coldest morning in a 124 years in the month of May.  Outstanding!  The wind has been something fierce and created waves in all the lakes around here.  Never seen that! Even with the cool start, the temps are supposed to reach the 70s.  What an unexpected gift.  I didn't appreciate the temps on Thursday evening because it took quite some time to find an outfit that would keep me warm, be right for May and be appropriate for a visitation. 

This week started with a visit to an Episcopal church out here in Rancho De Five.  All the hard rain last Saturday kept Roy up later than usual watching the level of the water feature and since he is the alarm clock, we overslept.  We chose this church because it is where Roy goes to the men's Bible study and that church lets CBS Katy Bible study meet there on Thursdays.  Roy was warmly greeted by so many who have come to know him through the Bible study.  One of my friends from CBS leadership just happened to sit behind us.  The service was unique with a great band and worship leader mixed into the traditional liturgical service.  The sermon was really good too.  There is something to be said about going to church in the neighborhood.  You can sleep late and it only takes 10 minutes driving time. 

Tuesday we had our last leadership meeting until the fall semester begins.  One of the ladies hosted us at her new home.  It was a bittersweet time because we are saying so long to several for a myriad of reasons.  Jennifer, our retiring Teaching Director, wasn't able to come because of a family member's hospital stay. Those who shall remain nameless got Peggy to do her Ruth Buzzy type roast on the three highest level women leaving Bible study.  It has been a long time since I have seen Peggy do that and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her in her element.  Afterwards Kathleen, Peggy and I hurried over to Dena's to rejoice with her that her new home just had its firm foundation poured.  So it wasn't firm yet but it was being smoothed and leveled.  Such an exciting time when everything begins to start in the building process.  Some weeks will feel too slow and other weeks the construction is going full tilt. 

On Wednesday I had lunch with five of my tennis friends from back in the day.  Cris hosted us at her home which just happens to be on the 15th floor of a high rise in the River Oaks area.  Oh my, the views were spectacular!  We even had the delight of white doves doing several fly bys.  We all thought that Cris had orchestrated that beautiful sight, but alas a family on street level raises them.  Lunch was delicious but the catching up was the best.  Again it was if we had all just stepped off the court and had lunch together.  It was if ten years of time hadn't even flown by, well except their children were grown and some had grandchildren but yet we all looked the same.  How does that happen?   Our next luncheon will be out here on the prairie.   I had planned on sticking around the area to go to choir later but I just didn't have it in me.  Tuesday had been a rough one.  It was the first day of another decrease in my heart meds and coupled that with the news of a friends daughter dying, had the effect on me pre surgery.  I was fatigued with a racing heart.  It was probably a good thing I came on home because we were expecting the delivery of a chair from Grandin Road.  I had an email that it had been delivered but no chair.  I called Grandin and they put a trace on the delivery.  Sometimes the UPS guy leaves stuff outside our gate and I thought someone had taken it because the temptation was too great.  Of course lifting and carrying a 50 pound box is somewhat awkward.  The customer service at Grandin Road was awesome and they assured me that no matter the cause, I would be receiving another chair in about ten days.  When Roy got home he told me that a lady drove up and asked if we had ordered something because it was on her front porch.  A relief to know wrong delivery address and not theft.  Roy got his cart and brought it home.  I got this chair to put beside the fireplace.  So a great gift of having a cool night to sit there and take in the warmth.  I should have been reading a book but Roy was watching Castle on the DVR, which made it hard for me to concentrate on sentences connecting the story, that I might like to comprehend. 

In the past week and a half I have been to a Sears Appliance store, that would be 3 times and if memory serves, that is more than I have ever been in a Sears store my whole life.    But in those three trips Roy got the tool chests he has needed to hold everything since we have acquired a lot of tools and such since moving out to the prairie.  Two out of the three trips had dinner at Tony's beforehand. 

Thursday was our last meeting of Bible study for this semester.  We studied I John, Hebrews and Philippians.  Hands down, I had the best core group!  From our first Thursday to the last, we jelled.  We celebrated many answers to prayer and we walked through some tough times with our sisters in the Lord.  I had to say in the Lord because I didn't want you to think those who have sisters were having problems with them.  I will miss seeing these friends weekly but we do have a June party planned at the ultimate party house and camp. 

Yesterday, I went to see the house that our friends are buying out here in the Rancho De Five.  Loved it!  So spacious and open.  Guess spacious and open means the same thing.  Hey, I stayed up too late watching the recap of the Jodi Arias trial last night, then the ending of Blazing Saddles and through most of Young Frankenstein.   Anyway, lots of storage and a great floor plan.  Then I got a much needed pedi.  Roy had his pedi right after mine and when he got home we had a late lunch at Victor's in Fulsher.  Last night, we crashed, we were exhausted!  But then as I am wont to do, I got this little spark of energy and we finished phase one of project closet. 

If you have read this far, I commend you.  Please keep this particular post handy because some night when you can't sleep, this baby will rock you into lullaby land.  By the way, I did warn you by the title. 

No comments: