Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Give Me Your Three Best Words

***This was written on Monday and I just now remembered to post it.***


I just had a healthy mid morning snack of purple grapes and cherries.  They were so juicy and tasty and now I am feeling all antioxidant strong.  I love the fruit and produce from Sprouts! 

It was an early morning cleaning out the bird bath and getting the feeder filled.  I neglected to do any of this yesterday.  A morning of church and afterwards running errands and then eating lunch, the afternoon crashed.  Lunch did not seem to agree with me and thus I was out of it for the rest of the day.  When I felt like I had returned to the land of the living, I worked in our closet because next week the hardwood floors are being installed in our bedroom and closet.  Everything needs to be up and off the floor.  So a bit of organizing was called for, not my best thing, but for us, it is rather organized. 

This past week I remembered a conversation I had with a friend who had played baseball almost all his life and several other friends who like me, had played softball.  We laughed because almost every 'saying' in baseball or softball is three words or less.  Yes, there is a generous use of contractions, but still in the three word category.  This is not to be confused with the song, give me three steps, three steps mister...give me three steps to the door.  It's Monday, there has to be a song reference.  We began rattling off sayings like, hit yours, now you're ready, turn two, can of corn, you're so due, and the like.  On the subject of baseball and softball, when you attend kids games or for that matter adult softball games, girl's softball teams are expected to know cheers and chants like, "you've got to want it to win it and we want it more!"  I have never heard a boys baseball team do the cheer, "our team is red hot, once we start, we cannot stop!"  Although I must admit I have heard a lot of pastors and male staff members refer to their smoking hot wife.  What a different meaning this cheer would have if the word wife was substituted for team.  Entirely different meaning for sure. 

We live in a world of three points, a poem and a prayer.  Our lives are filled with three word phrases.  If you're any good at teaching the Bible, most say you can find three points to teach in three verses or less.  Three word phrases are good, we have to have good constructed phrases to convey concise points in conversation.  Having some good longer than three word phrases to toss around, that's good as well.  There are several blogs dedicated to inspiring, encouraging and helping (three things) to find your good phrases.  Yesterday, browsing the formally named Worship Guide, that used to be called a bulletin, the name should probably be the announcement guide, although it is now called the Weekly Guide and yes, hearkens back to the days of yester year receiving the good ol' Weekly Reader, I got really tickled up there on the top row of the balcony at all the three word phrases we use at church. (run-on sentence)  Good phrases, we need them to help define who we are, what we are about and where we are going...(three things again) and sometimes why.  Optimal word,' sometimes.'  Anyway... Maybe we are modeling the three word phrases in honor of the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, so wanted to write Ghost.  Our church is a biblical, relevant community.  Our work is to be godly, effective and excellent.  We, gather our hearts, grow our souls, and give our lives.  I like that our emphasis of our three word slogans now supports our use of numbers, Mission 1:8.  Houston Project is now known as Houston 1:8.  Can the Christmas program now known as Celebration become Christmas 1:8?  See, even the numbers and I am not counting the colon and not because I am over due for a colonosopy, because now we have one word and two numbers = three.  Easy to remember, easy to say.  The world of three, one Lord, one faith, one baptism. 

I guess I have the three word phrase on my mind because I have been helping a friend write something that makes sense by using three words or less advertising slogans in paragraph form.  The preacher character in Greater Tuna does this with colloquialisms and Peggy and I have done this using all hymn titles. in a M&G program.   I mean who doesn't remember, Where's the beef, finger lickin' good, have it your way, they're great, unleash the beast, snap crackle pop,  breakfast of champions, built Ford tough, and I'm loving it, just to name a few. 

Three words or phrases grab our attention, New Improved Tide!  Again, it seems our world is becoming 140 characters or less.  We are marketed to all day long to think in Twitter thoughts and advertising slogans.  Three word statements, I like them but there is still something to love about a run-on sentence filled with enthusiasm, passion and interest. (three things) 

No comments: