Friday, May 10, 2013

Love Me a Run On Sentence. Not to be Confused with Rerun from What's Happening?

While having lunch with a friend the other day I said, I think I am a run-on sentence type of girl in a 140 character world.  Don't get me wrong, I love Twitter.  I love texting!  I love Facebook!  But I do love me a run-on sentence.  Sometimes because if I don't write or say something with little breath or use of commas and semi colons, the thought will disappear quickly only to be remembered at some point in the middle of the night. when the last thing I want in the middle of the night while attempting to go back to sleep is a thought that left so quickly earlier and now has made a home in my mind and will not vacate the premises.  Ah, yes, a run-on sentence. 

I retweet things all the time.  There are some very funny people and some very deep thinking people out there in Twitterdom.  Sometimes the funny and deep is found in one person.  Imagine that!  But sometimes I wonder if those who write or speak for a living or preach on Sundays make their points purposely for Twitter.  It's like Twitter blows up on Sunday mornings as people all across America tweet a point they are hearing.  It makes me wonder if they tweet every other point because taking the time to tweet cuts into the meat of the subject or the transition into the next point. 

Personally, love a Bible teacher or Bible study with long fill in the blanks.  Even with my attention span of a gnat, you'd think I would fair better with Twitter points but I don't.  For this summer, I think I have found a Bible study that will be perfect.  Making Manifest and it is a devotion book but I read a review that the format is conducive to extending the day and being able to study it overextended time.  Sounds like there is much to ponder and meditate upon because it sounds like it has been put together very creatively.   I was going to do another study that would cover several subjects in a matter of months and I stopped short of ordering it.  So glad I didn't, although I think it is a good study and I'd be interested in it at another time. 

I read this on a blog written by a twenty something man this morning:

You asked me once about my generation and its leaving the church.

You asked me if we should have more activities to reach the youth.

My generation is leaving the church because of the laser light shows and the fog machines. We are not enticed by your sensitivity to Seekers, and your circus theme or fourteen services on Easter do little more than promise that the church like all businesses is in the trade of commodities.*

You forgot to make disciples.

You taught just enough for the ultimate prize that you forgot how to tell of the journey there.

Maybe this isn't all your fault, but you haven't helped.

Aren't you tired? Don't you want to sit here for a moment and rest? Maybe we'll tell a few stories, about the God who is One, about what He hath done, and maybe then we'll circle back, samsara, to one another and to Him.

The name of the blog is 'see Preston blog.'  Very insightful.  Raised Southern Baptist and is now in England.  He calls himself a Bapto/Anglican.  He has a book coming out in 2014 and being published by Zondervan.  I know of several thirty somethings that are looking for more contemplative services and some have found a church that meets that need.  I am not trying to enforce some agenda paragraphs, this just caught me by surprise.  I kind of thought, here I go old people..., that the young people enjoyed the smoke and lasers and production values.  Maybe the generation in their forty's and getting closer to their fifties are the ones that like all that stuff.  Who knows?  I can have smoke or go smokeless, doesn't matter to me.  I like traditional and I like contemporary.  Bottom line it is really about worshipping God, not the bells and whistles, with or without smoke.

But I have totally digressed.  Guess I love the unlimited use of words on a blog and thus adds into my original thought of the run-on sentence, that and the unlimited stream of consciousness thoughts that come and go.  Now that I have expressed my love of words I guess I should get back to the projects I've started and need to finish.  Maybe I love run-on projects as much as the love I have for the run-on sentence. 

No comments: