Thursday, May 23, 2013

Who Is That Crazy Lady?

I wonder if our ritzy neighbors across the water feature ever notice me at the windows waving magazines?   I wonder if they think there is a crazy lady that lives here?  Friends, do not answer that in the comment section.  You see at times I post myself at the window to keep all the crows away.  They hog all the food, guard the bird bath with few admitted for all swim and they get in huge fights with each other.  If it wasn't for me and the mockingbirds, those poor doves wouldn't get a chance.  Although it seems as if the doves have figured out to hang out in gang form to persuade the crows to move on, nothing to eat here.  The crows are the only ones who fly away at the least little movement, so I stand at the window and knock.  I also stand at the window and wave magazines like I am signaling planes to make a landing.  My theory is if a little movement makes them fly away, why not go all out to get them to flee?  I try not to do this when it is a popular time on the trail around the water feature.  Buddy just takes it all in.  She doesn't care because there are birds to be watched.  In the world of being on a camera, I think this magazine waving might take over first place thus moving me at the ATM down a notch.  I would think all my gestures and face making is always rather amusing to the people who watch that film at the bank. 

Roy has been at a conference in Washington DC.  It's the annual compliance conference that he really likes and brings home a lot of things he can use, principles not give aways.  No, not compliance on my part, but for his job.  I am very, very compliant with all rules, regulations and guidelines.  Was that just a huge flash of lightning out here in Rancho De Five?  He has sent some beautiful pictures from his phone.  Roy went up a couple of days early to once again tour Washington and see the sights.  He took his smaller camera and I can't wait to see the pictures. 

Roy didn't get home until almost 1:00 am this morning.  The flight was delayed by two and a half hours due to weather in Chicago, where the flight was coming from.  Roy said there is no such thing as customer service at United.  They couldn't find anyone who would give them information and when he asked the price of taking an earlier flight, they wouldn't tell him how much the increase would be.  Last year he flew Air Tran and that wasn't a pleasant experience either.  He knows the way to my heart and he brought home cute t-shirts for me.  He is keeping the compliance ones, which is fine by me.  He also brought home a tote bag and a mug.  No, we love that!  We needed another mug to add to the cabinet and another tote bag to cram in a closet said no one ever.  I tried to stay awake until Roy got home and the talking heads discussing the Jodi Arais trial helped.  They have examined every eye twitch, facial expression and speech patterns.  Of course I am keeping up with the latest coverage so I am just as guilty of analyzing it all.  I once knew someone who is very much like her except they never killed anyone to my knowledge, but I wonder if given the opportunity....  The manipulation, narcissistic traits and detached emotions were so difficult to maneuver through and keeping your sanity was an emotional and physical drain. 

Tomorrow I leave to go to my happiest place on earth, the Inn on the Biltmore Estate.  Ah, I feel relaxed just thinking about it.  I have books that I am ready to dig into, so I don't think I will even take my Nook.  There are only a few loose ends to take care of today.  While I am gone Roy will be here because we are having hardwood floors installed in our bedroom and closet.  Now only our two guest bedrooms will have carpet.  I really didn't want carpet in our bedroom but got talked into it at the design center when we were choosing stuff for our house. 

Last night a freak thunderstorm popped up.  Think we got about two inches of rain but we had some lightning that didn't even give me a chance to one Mississippi before the thunder rumbled.  Buddy, my trusted companion hid under the bed for quite a length of time.  Once the worst of the storm passed she was solidly ensconced on my lap.  Every once in a while I heard what I took to be a distressed chirp from a bird outside.  I looked out all the windows because I had a feeling it was one of the young mockingbirds making that sound.  I never could locate it but maybe that is a good thing.  If there was a rescue situation I couldn't bring it in the house because Buddy would try to add to its distress.  The birds are out there waiting for brunch.  I hope Roy remembers to fill the feeder but I know he will put his foot down at standing by the window and waving a magazine to limit the crows access.  When I return home the baby mockingbirds will be grown and starting families of their own. 

No comments: