Saturday, May 11, 2013

Baking, Raining, and Watching

I am getting ready to write something here that I have never, ever said before.  Some might find it shocking, some will think unbelievable, others will merely scoff and others will fall on their knees giving thanks to God.  OK, brace yourself, I don't even know if I am brave enough to write it.  Here goes...  Roy and I made homemade biscuits last night.  There, I said it.  I do feel better not keeping that in for a whole 24 hours.  A friend had posted a 7 Up biscuit recipe and it seemed easy enough.  So together and I might add without a discouraging word and the skies were cloudy and gray, we made biscuits.  They are delicious.  We ate a couple with apple butter and called it supper.  When it is Roy's turn to make breakfast for his Bible study, I think these will be on the menu. 

Rancho De Five enjoyed getting quite a bit of rain yesterday.  The morning became night as the worst of the storms passed through.  We had three really close lightning flashes, one so bright I could have reenacted the Damascus Road experience of Paul.  It's ironic that Thursday evening a great portion of Rancho De Five lost power and it barely rained, more like misted.   Not one flicker Friday morning when our small little part of the world was enveloped with early morning night.  It was rather eerie coming home in total darkness Thursday.  It even affected McDonald's.  Dena and I had gone to see what progress had been made on her home and then ate a quick dinner.  When she pulled up to our house I asked her to shine her car lights on the sidewalk to the door.  Roy had been trying to get ahold of me to let me know about the power outage and if I was somewhere that had lights, to stay there awhile.  Even cell phone service was out.  In about thirty minutes after I got home, the power returned.  The homes across the water feature didn't get their power restored until almost midnight. 

With a rainy morning at hand I began several projects and surprised to report I finished three of them.  Of course the starts of these projects were staggered throughout the day.  I am feeling a little more organized. 

Wednesday night our friends had the grand opening of their second salon which happens to be at La Centerra.  Attire, cocktail.  Uh, let's see...what in my closet could be considered cocktail.  Peggy told me to put a shrimp on any dress and go as a shrimp cocktail.  I had been out and about for most of the afternoon because the housekeeper was here.  I think housekeeper is the more PC term than maid these days.  Anyway, when I returned home she was just about finished and I told her I had to go get cleaned up for a party.  She kept finding things to do and believe me there is a vast choice of things to be done around here, but I needed her to leave.  This opening began at 6:00 and it was now 5:30.  Once she left I scurried around trying to figure out what in the heck in my closet could pass as cocktail wear.  I was hoping that Jesus would miraculously place a dress there or change water into a wine dress.  Roy called because he had a meeting that just got out and he would be late getting home.  That is when I called off the search and resigned myself to staying home.  As much as I wanted to be at the opening, I was relieved not to stress over a dress.  So being the high rollers that we are, instead of going to a trendy, hip salon opening, we went to Cracker Barrel.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  I have learned to be content in whatever state I'm in, even in Cracker Barrel.  I was craving some of their veggies and Roy doesn't go to CB unless we are on a road trip. 

This past month I have given time to TV news.  Haven't done that since the OJ Simpson trial.  Until recently you wouldn't find me flipping between CNN, HLN and Fox News but the Boston Bombing, Jodi Arias trial and the Cleveland news has hooked me in.  No wonder ID TV, Dateline, First 48 and the like never run out of material, there is so much evil in this world.  Thank God I know the One who has overcome the world. 

Guess I'd better get on with the morning.  The doves and mockingbirds are sitting on the fence waiting at the bird feeder for brunch.  I've enjoyed watching the two baby mockingbirds these past few days.  Buddy has enjoyed watching them too but I don't think out of 'aren't they cute and beautiful' reasons. 

No comments: