Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Mixing of Cardinals and Rebels

This weekend I have felt like a teenager again.  OK, a teenager with bad knees and a heart monitor.  But you know what is keeping me feeling young and teenager like?  Well, it's the fact that this past week my face has been visited by a few strategically placed breakouts.  Really?  Pimples?  It's just like out of a TV show or movie, big event coming up, major breakout.  The event?  High school reunion.  Yes, Bellaire and Westbury, arch rivals in the long ago, had a joint reunion (no not that kind but maybe who knows) maybe that should be written a combined reunion of Classes 1969-1973.  Saturday night several hundred Westbury Rebels and Bellaire Cardinals got together at a small venue Blanco's.  Beth, Mimi and I decided we would arrive early so we could get a table with enough seating for all of us because we had several others that would be joining us.  We ended up going outside after a bit because we couldn't hear each other because of the band.  By the way, the band was really good. 

I think all of us that saw Beth a couple of weeks ago were so surprised that she came back for the reunion.  I would have bet money she wasn't returning.  Good thing I didn't bet.  She came over on Friday afternoon and we headed out to Brenham to see Mimi.  We left the rain in Katy and had great weather for the drive.  Mimi was outside her home to greet us and thus we were off to a great evening.  We sat and talked for a while and then we decided we better go eat.  What a treat was ours at Nathan's BBQ. 



 


We laughed until we thought we might wet our pants and here we were mature ladies, uh well older ladies, acting like we did when we were in high school.  The time got away from us and Beth and I didn't leave Brenham until 11:30 pm.  It was 2:00 am when I went to bed.  Roy stayed up waiting for me to get home.  His reasoning is; he is not known for making sense or good decisions when he is awakened in the middle of the night.  So in case we had a flat or an emergency, he stayed up.  Good thing he bargained with Dish and we added back the channels we cut out several months ago for a better price.  So glad he did because he had MacGyver to keep him company.  Instance two of a teenage weekend, staying out really late past my curfew, ok I just threw that in I don't have a curfew, and then sleeping in on Saturday.  Instance three, I did nothing constructive all day.  I read, then crammed for a test...again I jest, checked and texted on social media and tried to forget that my face had breakouts.  Then I whined life is not fair, slammed a door and pouted.  No, just tried to forget about the breakouts, I didn't do any of the other. 

So I am back to the reunion, which was quite a lot of fun!  There were a lot more people there than they had expected. Westbury had blue nametags and wrist straps and Bellaire had red.  Really, all of us, friends who have kept up with each other, looked so young and everyone else was like so old.  The 70's lifestyle was not good on a lot of people.  Roy said the place ran out of beer, not that we helped with that, but the food truck you could buy tacos and such from was really good. 

Such a fun evening with long time friends.  We saw others and visited with them as well but we always would come back to this spot and start conversations again. 

 Mimi, Marty, Beth and I hung out together a lot in high school.  We were trying to figure out last night how we met.  Marty and I met Mimi through Beth.  Beth and Mimi can't remember how they met but I'm so glad they did.   I knew Beth from 6th grade and I remembered Marty from junior high school history class.  She was giving an oral report on Amelia Earhart and dropped all her note cards into the trash can.  She recovered and gave a good report.  Well, I think she did.  No, she did. 
 Beth and Marty have had and still do, a huge influence on me.  Beth reached out to me when I was a junior and invited me to a Youth Group party at her church.  I saw something that night and I realized I hadn't a clue about being a Christian and even though I was raised in church and had made a decision when I was 6, I knew it wasn't valid.  Beth and Marty took me under their wings and along the way we became such good friends.  Loved the serious and loved all the laughs.  If you are a friend with me now and like how I do life, you can thank these two.  I have such gratitude and love for them.  I looked at these pictures last night and thought about where my life would be now if these two hadn't been a part of my life.  I don't even want to think about it. 
 And then comes Roy, the love of my life!  I mean really, he went with me to a high school reunion and didn't even complain.  He is the best!  I am more in love with him today than the day we married.  I would also like to point out I am his hot wife, I was burning up when this picture was taken.  The breeze had gone away. 
 Roy and me with Bobby and Marty.  Bobby and I had a great time talking last night.  He and I both share heart journey stories only his situation was more serious and I t looked like to human perspective, he was not likely not to recover from.  We both know too well the maintaining the energy thing.  We talked about our friendship and we marveled at the grace of God in our lives. 
 
I am the most fortunate of people to love and be loved by these friends.  I am blessed to have known all these friends, for a long time.  Yet we stay eternally so young.

  Which leads me to the last of my teenage feeling weekend.  We overslept and missed church.  I even slept in longer than I did on Saturday.  Love it when aches and pains don't wake you up and when the heart monitor doesn't go off in the night.  For just a bit I felt 17 again.  But, I am thankful I'm not 17 anymore and that life turned out better than I could have ever asked for because at the age of 17, I just wasn't too sure. 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

You look fab! Love your hair.