Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Normal and Plot Twists

Did I mention in yesterdays post that July is the most expensive month, more than December?  Oh yes, I believe I did do a little ranting about that.  The flood insurance bill greeted me in today's mail.  Ah July, the hits just a keep on coming.  I really am not complaining, yes I know it sounds like it but I am so thankful we are able to take care of these July bills and will look forward to August when everything gets back to normal. 

Speaking of normal, I pulled this off my friend Sharon's FB page.  I LOVE this!

I was back out on the lunch circuit today.  I met my friend Margaret at Hollister Grill.  Why didn't those of you who are friends that live in the Spring Branch area tell me about this place?  Margaret and her daughters volunteer at the Faith Center on Wednesdays and this place is close by.  Oh my, it was good.  What I loved especially is the neighborhood feel to the place and since I spent a greater portion of last night watching old Bette Davis movies that took place in the late 40's, I really connected with the atmosphere.  The background music was a jazz combo.  It has cozy booths and tables.  I liked that several groups of older women came in for lunch and yes, my record of closing down the lunch crowd is back on.  Margaret and I were the last to leave when they closed at 2:30.  I went with the full on attention of eating a salad but the meatloaf was just too tempting to resist.  Margaret and I visited and caught up with each other's summer happenings.  She was in my core group last year, the best core group ever in my limited experience of being a core group leader.  Time went by too quickly but that is usually what happens when you are having fun.

Roy brought home dinner and after dinner we ran a few errands.  We also drove by Dena's house to check the progress.  Then we checked the progress of a street that will connect to 1463.  Yea, we are so cool.  Shall I go on and impress with Shell station, CVS and a return trip to Sprouts. 

Last night I watched two of my favorite Bette Davis movies, Now Voyager and Dead Ringer.  I remembered to DVR them too.  Now Voyager is best known for the light the two ciggies at one time and then hand the lit ciggie to the other person.  I've also DVRed Where the Boys Are.  Margaret and I were talking about black and white movies from the 40s and 50s.  There is so much depth both in what they are telling and by what they are not.  Movies didn't dumb themselves down like they do now.  Intellect was respected that at some point the theatre goer would catch onto the nuances.  It is fun to watch these old films several times to pick up the little inferences and plot twists. 

The plot twist of not staying up so late tonight is happening right now.  I can hardly keep my eyes open.  And no, I do not have Bette Davis eyes. 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

My favorite old movie - Notorious with Carey Grant & Ingrid Bergman. LOVE.