Friday, August 23, 2013

A REally, REally Fine Day

This morning I braved I 10 early to go to my appointment at the knee doctor office since the appointment had to be rescheduled from Tuesday.  Going in you know that there is something about orthopedic offices that run behind on appointment times.  The staff and nurses are so kind there, you don't really mind.  You know going in to bring a book or something that will keep you occupied.  Over in one corner of the waiting room they have a really nice coffee and tea bar and a TV.  This is going to make me sound old, but dang the sound on that thing is too much.  Even though I brought a book that is so interesting and I'm having a hard time putting it down, I had to have one ear tuned to hear my name to go behind the golden door.  So I got the call and went into the inner office.  These shots are not my first rodeo.  I have had several before everything else started up but she had me feeling kind of nervous with the questions she asked.  She left me in the little room and she went to get the shots.  Those questions had an effect on me, I got hot and began sweating a little.  Then I worried that I would faint after the shots so I began to pop breath mints like there is no tomorrow.  There were information pamphlets on the counter, so I grabbed one and fanned 90 to nothing to cool down.  The Dr came in and did the injections and it was really no big deal except the needle for this type of thing is like --------------------------------- this long.   I go back Tuesday for the second set of injections.  I can tell a difference because there isn't as much snap, crackle and pop when I walk or get up from a chair.  I have to give it 48 hours before I can Psalm 18 it, run through a troop or leap over a wall.  He gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, so I am set for the weekend. 

So I kept a close eye on text messages today from Dena.  I met her last night at her home because she wanted to see what progress had been made since her last walk through.  They had done quite a bit and that home is looking all nice and shiny.   So at the Dr office, running errands and getting a pedicure she kept me up to date with each step of the process.  This afternoon when I hadn't heard anything since late morning I texted and asked if she was a home owner yet.  She was and had the hand cramps from signing so many papers to prove it.  We have walked this with her since February and when she said she officially had a mortgage, I sat in the Lotus Nail Salon parking lot and cried tears of joy.  I am not a crier by nature, but it felt so good to be able once again to call Dena my neighbor.  Look out Rancho De Five, things might not ever be the same, Peggy with a new knee, me with medically repaired knees, Kathleen, Emily and Dena...we are ready to roll.  Look out new Luby's being built on the corner of CRB and Westheimer Parkway...we'll be there for our senior specials. 

The book I am reading is Moon Rise by Cassandra King.  The author and her husband Pat Conroy were in the Blue Ridge Mountains on a little sabbatical and she had brought the book Rebecca to read.  She was inspired by parts of the story and so Moon Rise is the story of a young woman who is the second wife to a husband that had married the cream of the crop out of Atlanta society, beautiful and beloved by everyone and she dies a tragic death.  So here is second wife meeting his friends and making her way through the mansion in the mountains that was owned by Rosalyn's (first wife) family.  This kind of gave me an idea for the writing exercise I am working on.  Roy gave me a book several years ago with writing prompts and I pull it out from time to time.  The prompt I am working on is unrealistic expectations.  My first thought is a story of a man or woman, haven't decided yet, who lives an inadequate life only because they think they are inadequate and needs false props to shore up his or her dream to morph into a beloved person, even if it means taking on the personality of a dead friend.  The choice of lies being told or their narrative given a make over, never give them a moment's rest.  This character has unrealistic expectations on who they are and what can come out of life from their own experiences which would be fine except in their own mind.  Yea, I know...strange but it is  a work in progress.   We all deal with unrealistic expectations at sometime in life so it is a subject matter we are all too familiar with.    

August 23 has been a good day, full of proceeds on many different levels. 

No comments: