Monday, August 5, 2013

Fifty Nine is Feeling Fine...So Far

Yesterday was a fun and fabulous day, partly because it was my birthday, Ben Stuart preached and Dena taught in Life Bible Study which just means Sunday School.  She has taught two times this summer during her sabbatical.  Afterwards, Roy and I went with Dena to the birthday lunch surprise.  One year, early on in our friendship she gave me a hint of where we were going for my birthday.  The hint, it's biblical.  I guessed it correctly, Ruth Chris Steakhouse (Ruth and just needing a t for Chris.)  Since then she has not given me a hint of where birthday dinner celebrations will take place.   I do know this, they are always at a fabulous place.  And this year was the best!  We had brunch at Brennan's.  Oh my word!  I haven't eaten at Brennan's since the night of my senior prom or one of the proms in high school.  So you know, that has been a long, long time.  Roy and I have eaten at the one in New Orleans, but that has been a while too. 
 
We had a great table, right by the windows and in the corner.  I think Roy was almost excited as Dena and me to be there. 
 
 
 
 
It took several attempts for Dena to get this picture without people standing around waiting for their cars.

 

Thankfully, we were all properly dressed for brunch.  Any other time Roy would have to wear a jacket. 


This jazz trio was soon joined by a fourth musician.  Instead of playing Happy Birthday, they played and sang the song Night and Day by Frank Sinatra.  Going to have to download it from ITunes.  The sax player said to me, wasn't that better than happy birthday?  Yes!  When this photo was taken they were singing and playing Johnny Mathis' Misty, which is a beautiful song and the sentiments of Laverne and Shirley that Johnny Mathis is the best make out music in the world is correct but, it didn't quite make me forget the movie Play Misty for Me.
 
 
 
Here we are in our happy little corner of the world and Brennan's. 
After brunch waiting on Dena's car.  As you can tell they do give you a chef hat to wear when they bring out dessert.  I happily wore it...for just a bit.
Roy wasn't having a good time at all, she says sarcastically.  He started with gumbo, had some kind of New Orleans dish and had a pecan pie sundae for dessert. 

This my friends is Bananas Foster, just about my all time favorite dessert in the whole wide world.  It was delicious!  I kind of went the traditional brunch route, a fresh peach green salad, crispy bacon, a poached egg,  blueberry pancakes with whipped goat cheese between the pancakes and pecan bourbon syrup.  Yes, I wanted to drink the syrup.  In fact we all quoted our favorite line from To Kill a Mockingbird, "what in the Sam Hill are you doing Walter Cunningham?  He's gone and ruined his whole meal by pouring syrup on it."  Then Bananas Foster for dessert.  As you can tell I went with the fruit themed dish.  Dena kind of went the Duck Dynasty route, turtle soup with Sherry (she opened her mouth like a little baby bird when they poured it into her soup wanting a little swig....no not really, maybe that was me), crab cakes and then the Bananas Foster.  Oh we ordered a side of the grits...I was feeling very Biltmore/New Orleans.  In fact, I haven't had an old fashioned in years and it was kind of making me want one but ice tea and coffee ruled the day. 

We had a wonderful time!  Now I want to go to brunch at Brennan's every Sunday but I'm sure that it wouldn't feel as special if we did.  Dena's birthday is coming up and guess I will have to rethink the Burgers and More and Bahama Mamas shaved ice celebration for hers. 

This was quite the trifecta birthday of favorites.  Mimi took me to Grand Lux on Thursday.  Roy and I went to Taste of Texas Saturday afternoon and then Brennan's on Sunday.  Of course all of this means I am dieting today.  Those places were calorie worthy, let me tell ya!

Also, Roy got me these hand made sheep made out of corn husks.  They are just so cute!  We are thankful that Buddy hasn't shown any interest in them. 



Yesterday was National Friendship Day.  I took time last night to gather my thoughts and thank God for the friends He has sent my way all through the years.  I'm even more mindful of them because of the Bible study Becky K had at her home on friendship, the welcomed reunion and now ongoing friendships from the back in the day, long ago, school days, younger friends, older friends...love hot dogs, Armor hot dogs, the dogs kids love to bite....Oops, squirrel.   But you see where I am going.  I would name some but I would leave far too many out because my addled brain doesn't always remember things when I want it to. 

Guess all these wonderful meals and the maturity of reaching fifty nine has kindled a little fire in me to cook tonight's dinner.  Hope Roy doesn't think this means this is the start of a new era....  Nope, Sprouts had a really good sale on roasts.  Mine turn out dry so I am making pot roast in a Dutch oven today, not the slow cooker to see if the results are different. 

No comments: