Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Summer Days Are At An End

The slow days of summer are coming to an end.  It has been a summer of long days of reading and just sitting, being still.  This summer could also be thematic in the number of lunches and breakfasts I've had with friends.  Several of the projects that have been on the to do list have been done and more projects remain for other days.  Staying up way past my normal bedtime and sleeping in like a teenager has been fun and brief, but realize now I don't want this to become a habit.  I am a night owl by nature.  Next week begins core leader training for Bible study and the study of Genesis begins in earnest on September 5. 

This summer I have had to remind myself that my time schedule and the Lord's don't always agree.  On my timeline I would have worn the heart monitor sooner, seen an orthopedic sooner and have my knee situation with more form and direction.  But here it is at the end of the summer and the orthovisc injections begin on Friday and next week they'll put the internal loop recorder in my chest.  Maybe I should have incorporated the unhurried approach to my attitude and expectations concerning my health into my unhurried approach to summer days. 

Happily, this summer has been filled with good friends.  I met my high school/college friend Mimi for lunch after not seeing her for forty years.  It was if a day hadn't passed.  What a joy to have her back in my life.  Beth, known since the 6th grade, came in town from Washington twice and I loved every minute I got to spend with her.  Since she has returned home she has been sending Mimi and I pictures of the area where they live, her family and wildlife...woodsy kind, not wild living kind.  Karolyn, who I had not seen since high school but she and Mimi kept up with one another, was able to go out to dinner with Beth, Mimi and me.  We saw Bobby and Marty at a high school reunion and it is always good to see them.  My college roommate and I have reconnected on FB and plan to have lunch very soon.  Emily has moved to Rancho De Five and Dena isn't too far behind in coming out to the prairie.  As per usual, Peggy is on the lake most of the summer but I did get to see her when last year's core group came out twice for fun at Lake Bain.  I got to have lunch with Geni and almost got to have lunch with Kelly.  We will get that scheduled.  Did get to have lunch with Lisa P, Emily, Peggy, Kathleen and Bev and breakfast with Jennifer, not all together well except for Kathleen and Peggy.  It has been a fun lunching summer.  Many a night before falling asleep I look at the pictures on my phone from this summer and feel very blessed and satisfied.  God has given me some of the best friends in the world!  For this I am grateful and so thankful for these kind and genuine people. 

I also was reacquainted with some other friends today.  We have a small bookcase in the hallway between the laundry room, bathroom and guest room.  I moved it into the study and rearranged books by categories on most of the bookcases.  For right now a child's roll top desk that we bought in Huntsville at an antique store is still in the study but it will be going into the Rancho De Five area garage sale....whenever that is this fall.  We used it as a nightstand for a while but have since moved onto other furniture.  The friends I reacquainted myself with were the books in that small bookcase.  I found a couple of books I had been looking for, several books on prayer that I read about eight years ago and were life changing, of course you know the southern books were well represented and several of my all time favorite Eugene Peterson books.  My collection of LSU Voices of the South series is in the bookcase.  These are reprints that LSU did of classic novels from back in the day.  All the literary works on writers from Mississippi and many books on the literary south.  If I hadn't been on my medicine for my knee pain and the side effect for me is more focus, I might still be going through the books trying to read each and everyone of them.  Roy has pretty much gone the E book route but I still like to hold a book in my hands.  Truthfully it wasn't that long ago that I would tell you that I missed my books while I was on a trip or vacation. 

It wasn't planned and as you can tell by several posts I have been reflective on the last five years and struggling to find good health and hoping for energy and interest in everyday life.  I think it's because I feel I am hitting a milestone and a turning point.  I have learned to let a lot of junk go.  I cannot be worried about what others think or expect from me and these are people who really don't have any right or access to even really know me.  They are the few that still put people in boxes and when you don't want to stay in their conceived box they have for you, they get frustrated and upset.  I saw this quote by Lecrae on FB and loved it; Some people will only love you as long as you fit in their box. Don't be afraid to disappoint them. 

Well, there is a book calling my name, Moonrise by Cassandra King.  I was hooked on the first page.  Looks like several of the projects I planned to finish up tomorrow just might get pushed into the Labor Day weekend. 

No comments: