Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Suspicion, Rebecca and Reality

I am so very happy to report that the pot roast I made last night turned out great!  We liked it much better cooking it in a Dutch oven verses a slow cooker.  I've made pot roasts before using beer or red wine but this one called for a dark ale or stout.  We bought a bottle of Mississippi Mud beer and it must have done the trick.  I also added red and green bell pepper along with the onion and about an hour before it was done added baby carrots.  Tonight the fine folks at Sprouts have prepared our dinner.  Cooking two nights in a row?  I might not recover.

Yesterday morning I got a glimpse of the two baby bunnies living in our back flowerbed.  They are so cute.  I went to well known Animal Vet Dr. Google to see if there was anything we could do to help them and the answer leave them alone.  The momma rabbit only spends early mornings and late evenings with them once they get to a certain size.  Many mistake the lack of a mom sighting as the bunnies have been orphaned.  We did put a little bit of water in a lid because of the heat out there for them or for mom. 

Tonight it must be Joan Fontaine night on TCM because two of my all time favorite movies are on, Suspicion and Rebecca.  I have them on DVR and have the DVD of Rebecca but I love watching them on TCM because you learn so much about the movies before and after the showing.  I will probably watch in one of the other bedrooms because Roy will probably be watching Castle on DVR in the living room.  I first watched Suspicion in 2005 while recovering from surgery.  During those six weeks of recovery our computer was on the fritz and I decided to only watch TV in the late afternoons and evenings.  I read and slept at first for most of the days but when I was able to get out and about for a little bit, usually friends coming over or taking me to lunch, I still kept the reading in my daily activities.  One night, Suspicion came on and it gripped me.  I was mesmerized by the story but so disappointed in the ending.  I woke up Roy to tell him how anticlimactic it was.  (He so probably appreciated knowing that at 1:00 am)  I found out later that the ending was changed in the movie and did not fit the ending of the book.  They thought no one would ever believe that Cary Grant would do such things.  Guess people back then had a tough time knowing reality verses the movies. 

The summer is winding down.  The peaches, nectarines and tomatoes will be just a memory soon.  At Sprouts today pears and apples are making the move to the front of the produce sections.  School supplies are everywhere in stores and families are wrapping up trips.  Late nights will be a thing of the past except for late night studying.  The week before school begins bedtimes will gradually return to normal.  That means summer is winding down for me too although there aren't school supplies or anything like that to be purchased.  I will need to go to get into the go to bed earlier routine because of CBS Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Last summer I read the Old Testament and spent time reading books that had to do with the Old Testament.  This summer, I really hadn't made a plan, a Bible reading plan but soon enough I knew how the summer would go concerning these things.  I did a lot of listening, spent time in complete silence, reading here and there in the Bible but without a plan.  I've read more this summer than I have in any summers past and this includes all kind of reading.  I found several blogs that have challenged and encouraged.  In the southern fiction genre, the choices have been outstanding and the non fiction I've read has been moving.  I attended a Bible study that BCF offered and have been rather social.  It has been a good summer and it hasn't come about in the tried and true ways.  I think maybe reading Wonderstruck in the winter and spring helped me have this laid back approach in spirit that transforms into really being observant and grateful in daily life and seeing where God is leading.  This has been my most unorthodox approach ever and I am thrilled with the results and changes. 

Well, Suspicion is on in a few minutes.  Hope Roy can warm up his dinner in the microwave quietly. 

No comments: