Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Last Morning of Five Eight

This is my last morning waking up as a fifty eight year old and tomorrow I enter into my last year in the fifties.  Ten years ago I was already dreading the fifties and that last year in my forties was difficult because my eyes were directed to the inevitable and perceived aging.  Once I got into the five o decade it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.   I am not making the last year of a decade mistake again.  I'm going to be present and involved this year and keep my eyes on the daily not the dreaded number of the future. 

Thursday evening Roy and I were out in the front yard.  I gave leadership to his trimming the hedge.  I had suggested that Abel and his crew trim it because they cut the grass on Thursdays but Roy says he does a better job and he does.  While he trimmed I swept and picked up branches.  Even at dusk it is still hot so we began to wind down the job.  A mother and daughter and two little dogs approached us and introduced themselves as our new neighbors that just moved in behind us.  Erin, the daughter, had been throwing a softball with her dad and the ball had landed in our backyard.  Even after getting the ball we stayed out there visiting.  They moved here from the Nashville area so we had several things in common to talk about.  She loves the City Farmhouse in Franklin about as much as I do.  When we came inside we noticed a weird pattern of lighting.  Study lights worked, library worked, guest bedroom worked; entryway, bathroom,  and kitchen lights didn't.  We figured it was a breaker but resetting it didn't seem to help.  Well, long story short...we had several give us names of electricians.  One came out on Friday morning fixed the problem...different type of breakers used in houses built after 2008 that are reset differently to what we knew and he replaced a bad plug in the kitchen. 

Mimi and I met for lunch at Grand Lux on Thursday.  She had never eaten there before so she was in for a great treat.  We ordered the same items that Dena and I usually order there and I believe Mimi will make return trips to G'lux.  When you're at the G you have to make a stop at the NR, Nord Rack.  It was a great and Mimi introduced me into the world of....oh I can't think of the name of the purse maker but it is the type that New Yorkers carry all the time and it makes a great travel purse.  It was such a deal and since she had already ordered one, she relinquished it to me.  Also found some shirts for Roy and a couple of cute tops for me.  Mimi found some awesome shoes in a beautiful red shade and nail polish.  She had an appointment to get to and it was my plan to go to Nord and check out the sale.  Peggy and crew just happened to be there too but they had moved on down the mall, so I never saw them at The Galleria. 

Tuesday night I met Dena at her home to check out the progress.  Oh my...her home is so beautiful!  It won't be too much longer until she is living out here in Rancho De Five.  We ate dinner at the Asian fusion place whose long name escapes me.  She had eaten there the week before with a friend and Dena had tried something off the Japanese portion of the menu and she loved it.  Knowing that I had always eaten the familiar Chinese selections, she encouraged me to try something new.  So, I had the Happy Sumo.  It is delicious!!!  In fact, on Wednesday night Roy wanted to eat there and I ordered it again.  It is that good!  

Yesterday after taking my car in for the 5000 mile check up, electrician visit and the annual termite inspection, Roy and I went to a late lunch at Las Amadeus.  This time I ate the tried and true and he ate something different than usual.  They have a Mexican pizza now and Roy ordered it.  He loved it!   This morning on my last day of being fifty eight I've been thinking sometimes it is good to stay with the tried and true and then there are times to try something different off the menu.  Yes, isn't this so profound...like no one else ever thought of this?  Ha!

This week was also the week that Chris comes to clean and I get the heck out of Dodge.  I ran a bunch of errands, had lunch at Kay's Tea Parlor and ended up at the library.  I actually enjoyed the afternoon compared to most times when I am chomping at the bit to come home but Chris hasn't left yet. 

Last night we waited until it seemed cooler to start pulling weeds in the back flower bed.  I hadn't made it outside but Roy came in the house, focused and non communicative...this could not be good.  He was looking for the pellet gun.  I knew what that meant.  So he goes back outside armed with a fully loaded pellet gun in one hand and the water hose in the other.  He sprays the flower bed, throws down the hose and brings the gun up to sight his prey.  He looked all Duck Dynasty like...well except for a beard and pointing the gun down and not up for ducks.  He brought the gun down to his side, picked up the hose and put it up and came into the house.  What?  He said, when he saw something move, he thought a baby vermin was back, but what he saw?   Baby rabbits.  We remembered the mom pulling up grass a week or so ago and taking it to the flowerbed.  We thought she was building a nest when actually she was taking care of her family.  We've seen mom around inside and outside the yard.  No wonder she would kind of stand her ground.  We are thinking of trapping them and then releasing them to the green space... but they might be too small to do that yet.  Roy said I wonder what kind of food rabbits eat?  Guess he didn't watch many Bugs Bunny cartoons growing up.... 

Well, on this last day of being fifty eight, I have eased into the day.  Now to get a couple of things done and then go out for birthday dinner with Roy.  Not a bad start or end to the day. 

No comments: