Friday, June 6, 2014

Conversations of the Bird Sort

I don't know who enjoys the bird feeder more, Buddy or me.  I probably posses the morally correct reason, joy whereas the entertainment factor coupled with a capture and dinner factor for Buddy makes the moral compass point directly to me.  Today one particular dove has flown into the window about three times.  How do I know it is the same dove, I watched it.  The birds and their antics paint a society that isn't too different from their human counterparts.  Life and characters surround that feeder.  My favorite to watch these days is the baby now teenager mockingbird.  It is learning the intimidation mechanics that comes naturally to them but still get a tad ruffled and will go to the open beak posture.  Don't know if it is trying to look meaner or hoping one of the doves mistakes it for one of their own.  The feeder is home to bird versions of people.  There doesn't seem to be an end of bird bullies.  If they are eating in the flowerbed the majority of time is spent chasing off one or two birds yet behind the bully there's a whole lot of eating going on.  He or she should just know there is enough for all and quite chasing off other birds.  There are quite a few primping birds.  Their main hangout is the bird bath or on top of the trellis.  If I knew all the words to summer love I could be the background music for the love birds that visit.  Only thing, the female isn't as interested in summer love when dinner is being served.  Lots of male cooing going on...not many takers...this is what it sounds like when doves cry.  I know...but it had to be done cause the song is an ear worm this morning which is trying to be replaced by Summer Love.  Only it is just the ending of Summer Love that is going through my head.

The crows have a young un among them.  It looked like mama crow is trying to get Jr to eat on his own.  She came over with a few peanuts for him but then flew over to the fence.  Jr got a little frantic and finally left the safe confines of the birdbath and found mom again, only she moved out of reach again.  He's left the nest now he needs to move along seems to be the message from mama crow.  The mockingbird is still a little intimidated except not on the fence.  Any bird sitting on the fence when he is around gets a buzz flyover and he clears the deck.  When the crow with the mangled leg comes to eat, I am astounded at its ability to maneuver and hold its own with the other birds.  Like I wrote before there is a little microcosmic bird life personified taking place in the side yard.  

I met Roy at Lupe's this afternoon.  Worst service ever!  Roy even got up with our glasses trying to find our waiter.  I think Lupe's was a little short staffed today.  It could have been opposite day because after lunch he headed over to Target and I went to mail a package for Megan and Erin.  Now he has taken Buddy over for her mani/pedi because the cat whisperer is in at the Vet's office.  Makes a huge difference on the trim and Buddy's attitude.  Ah, they are back.  Buddy wasn't happy and hit the jackpot and bit the Dr, the whisperer, and the receptionist.  She's a rather docile cat except when it comes to trimming her nails.  Where did I go wrong?


No comments: