Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Waiting on The Other Side

It felt a little strange being on the other side of surgical procedures.  Yesterday, Roy had what everyone in their 50's is encouraged to have by Doctors.  This wasn't his first rodeo but it had been a while.  In the past six years we have grown accustomed to any type of procedure if done in the early mornings involved me being the one.  As I got ready yesterday I kept telling myself I get to eat, drink and wear makeup.  To pass the time in the waiting room, I packed up my Vera Bradley back pack with an iPad, notebook and a book along with a Diet Coke and peanut butter cheese crackers.  The morning wasn't quite as early as when we have to be at the Med Center for me, so that was welcomed.

The wait wasn't too long before Roy was called behind the door to get prepped and that I would be called back in 20 or so minutes and for the record I was not going back to be prepped but to keep Roy company. In the past when the roles are reversed, he sits calmly beside the bed reading work emails and is rather quiet.  I am left to amuse myself and pray before being wheeled away.  It was not that way yesterday with me, because, well, because I don't have work emails to read.  With the little shower cap thing on his head, Roy looked like lunch lady Doris.  He just needed a large spoon and gravely voice to say, "more creamed corn?"  One of the nurses made his little cap look like a beret and we sang Raspberry Beret to him along with several other Prince songs. ( The songs were from his Prince era not the era of the artist formerly known as Prince.)   I was making Roy laugh and that is one of my favorite things to do.  I think the best laugh we had involved Roy needing to scoot up higher on the bed.  He needed to be careful and not put pressure on his hand  because the drip thingy was on the top of his hand, not the bend of his arm.  He asked me to pull his arm and I replied, uh I know what happens when someone says pull my finger, I am not brave enough to find out what happens when someone asks you to pull on their arm.  What would be the result?  Oh, the humanity!  I think Roy would have wet his pants, if he had had any on and if he hadn't had to cut off the liquids at midnight, he was laughing so hard.  Roy was given the dealy to call the nurse if need be.  He thought it was for more pain medication...and I may or may not have been caught using it as a microphone to sing and request clean up in holding room C.  Maybe they rushed him into the procedure because we or rather I was being disruptive in the holding area.  Hey, I was just trying to be a good wife.

Soon it was time to leave his side and go back to the waiting room.  The waiters for patients one and two were soon called for consultations with the Dr.  Wow, much faster than I thought and because Roy was patient three, I knew a calling would be coming forth (oops, too much SBC14 reading on Twitter) so I put up my iPad and just read my book.   Yep, it wasn't too long and I was called back and put into a really small room.  I am somewhat claustrophobic so I kept trying to read but it was difficult.  Since I have not been on this side of a procedure in so long, I had a moment of doubt.  Why the small room?  Why is there Kleenex boxes?  I had a moment of panic because I had never given a thought to, there might be something wrong.  Quickly, I composed those inner fears with praise and gratitude and I went back to trying to read my book in a little bitty tiny room.  Then the Dr came in and gave the good news, then they sent me back to the WR.  Not too long after I was called again and given instructions for the rest of the day for Roy, who I could see over the nurse's shoulder.  We was totally being Roy, snoring.  Oh by the way, the nurse had the most beautiful name, Nancy.  Although Roy kept calling both of us Megan.  He was talking nonsense, quite funny actually and then it was my task or should I say joy, to help him get dressed.  I always ask him after my procedures, did I dress myself or did you help me?  Guess I can dress myself under the influence of drugs. After a few stops and starts, we finally got him to the position of his shoes.  Oh my....finally, he was ready for the wheelchair and it was time to get the car and load him up.  He must have asked the nurse 50 times if he could ride his bike later in the day.  No!  

You know Roy is a bit groggy when he suggests Cracker Barrel.  His other suggestion was Luby's and I could not in good conscience let him hold and move a tray down a line.  Got blessed by the best waitress at CB and she got hot biscuits out to Roy.  He was famished after the long fasting day on Sunday.  He ordered coffee and Diet Coke to go along with his lunch.  Also a new thing, I have never, ever seen Roy eat five biscuits!   By the time we finished brunch cause I got breakfast, he was almost back to his old self.  We came home and he slept.  And what a neat God thing, when he was seriously considering riding his trek against orders, the rains came down.

Things are back to normal today and for this we are thankful.

No comments: