Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Mission 55:6

Sometimes when we are in the midst of conversations I think Roy forgets who he is talking to.  When we go to Asheville later this summer, we are going to do some exploration into buying a second home, mainly looking at town houses and condos.  Most town homes are independent dwellings but located in a community that has the designation.  There are a few that look rather traditional and all those aren't even going to be considered.  Did that, no thank you on repeats.  Also ruling out wall to wall carpet, dark and closed off rooms, paneling even if it is in a home that would fit the paneling description, a rustic look, and anything that does not have a mountain or hill view.  As we've been looking at online sources and getting prepared to talk to a local real estate agent there, we've been narrowing our search and it is down to three areas, west, north and east of Asheville proper.  Then there is one area that would be considered more of a wish type thing, but it is fun to look at properties online and dream of an unlimited budget and excellent help since it is not near any major cities.  Our consideration is more in long term than short term goals meaning that once Roy retires, this would become our main residence but most probably my main residence in the interim. This heat is already getting to me and it isn't even into the, pardon the pun, the heat of the summer.  But that is down the road but we want to be smart about those things.  If we don't find anything to our liking and that could happen because several years ago we looked around the Maggie Valley area, we would most likely try to find a long term rental for most of the summer months next year.  It helps that Roy has so many weeks of vacation and flying up that way isn't expensive.

OK, so I have totally not even written what my intent was.  So yesterday, as we discussed pros and cons to some of the homes we have favorited, Roy says in all seriousness to me, I would like you to pull together the numbers for the costs incurred, but not including groceries, gas and such, to do analysis toward the costs of running two homes.  What is wrong with that statement?  It looks to me that some Excel might be involved and I have given up Excel for permanent Lent.  It's a new thing, all the cool Christians are doing it.  I asked Roy, did you confuse me to be someone that works for you just because I am talking with you in my church clothes?  Do you think that math and statistics have somehow become one of the loves of my life and I want to pull together numbers?  Oh and there is that word budget...  Maybe if we named our new home budget like our church named their budget Mission 1:8, I could get more enthused.  Maybe we could name it Mission 55:6-Oh that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and rest.  Oh and verse 7 adds, I would fly away to the quiet of the wilderness.  Seems like this would be very appropriate to our mission.  Even now writing about naming the budget hasn't wowed me.  Anyway, Roy decided that maybe I am not the one to gather the details and put them into a work sheet.  Guess there is always hope that one day, some day, those things would come to me.  I'd really rather they wouldn't.

Maybe we should also name our dental budget too.  The process that began in January came to a pause today.  The implant was seated but Carol used temp cement because she wants to make sure my gum and tissue heal properly for a perfect fit.  The good news was, no infection which was a minor concern.   She had to have a custom abutment made due to the placement of the structure the oral surgeon did.  Needless to say, I will not be using him for the other portion of dental work that needs to be done.  I cannot sing the praise of Dr. Carol Geer enough.

No comments: