Saturday, October 8, 2016

Whirlwinds and Countdowns

It has been a whirlwind the past two days. I drove to Charlotte late Thursday afternoon to pick up Roy. His was a late flight so we had made reservations at the hotel and I am so glad we did because little did we know about Hurricane Matthew when we made these plans several months ago. The hotel and all of the ones surrounding it were full of people who evacuated from South Carolina. I read that most of Charleston is in Asheville. Roy's flight was a little early and the hotel bus picked him up and brought him to the hotel. We were up early Friday and made our way home to do the things Roy could do. We got a lot of outside stuff taken care of as well as a few indoor chores. We worked hard with little breaks and went to bed at 8:00 pm so that we could be up at 2:00 am to be on the road by 3:00 am. Buddy made the trip back with Roy so we had to get the chill pill down her, three tries, and get her situated in her travel bag. The trip to Charlotte had quite a good bit of rain but my drive back was easier because I was driving ahead of the worst of the weather. To keep my concentration on the road, I said both my lines and Gertrude's lines as practice. It be dark out on the roads.I contemplated driving through Granny's Biscuit House when I filled up SequishShawn but opted to come on home and have breakfast here. It seemed a little too empty and quiet when I came in the door.

So here it is a Saturday, with overcast skies. Perfect background for a reading day but work calls. I just have a few major things left to do and I needed to wait until Buddy left for Texas. I will get cracking on that stuff soon enough. I'm contemplating a short nap. My eyes are tired from early morning rising and heavy road concentration.

On Thursday I decided to make a Barnes and Noble run and a Whole Foods stop before heading on over to Charlotte by the way of Morganstown for dinner at the Cracker Barrel. Like always I waited till the last minute to pack as not to upset Buddy, but she caught me and I hurried the process and did something I have never done before, I forgot to pack undergarments, well undergarment. Me, the one who overpacks everything, forgot. And in the process of bringing the suitcase down the stairs I heard a noise, not an alarm so much as a warning sound. I wondered if it was coming from the neighbors or was it some kind of warning in the upstairs. I know this, I cannot leave until I know the origin of the sound. It kind of came and went and then it dawned on me, that maybe the sound was coming out of my suitcase. It was! In the clanging and banging of getting the suitcase down the stairs, something had hit the button on the electric toothbrush and it was the sound of it vibrating against different things causing the come and go sound. After our smoke alarm debacle, we are not people who should be trusted with buttons. Thankfully, I arrived at the hotel before dark and realized this was the most crowded I had ever seen it...and well, it was filled with people from South Carolina.

The animal kingdom is alive and well in our backyard. The small groundhog was out today eating the remains of a sunflower, squirrels, chipmunks and birds are plentiful. The wind has picked up quite a bit and it is truly making me wonderstruck watching those birds fly so quickly and turn on a dime in the air.

I have finally had the chance to clean off my desk this afternoon. Just need to dust. I have a script to look at and a book that is hard to put down. I have tons of stuff to do upstairs, but I'm not quite ready to get that busy.

No comments: