Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Ferals, Books, and Funnies

Something interesting with the Feral Fam this morning. Cali and two of her kittens were waiting on breakfast, with one of the kittens checking and rechecking the contents of the bowl...which was empty by the way. So, with Buddy being a little later for treat time, I went outside to get everyone fed and then welcomed by Buddy upon returning inside the house. A few treats and she was ready for porch time since the mornings have been cooler lately. As per usual I made a quick glance out the window to see progress and I watched a little kitten take the stance of aggression toward Mama Cat, his grandmother...who doesn't seem the least bit interested in that role. Mama Cat had just forced Cali from one of the bowls and Cali retreated as this is her role within the family. Her little baby boy stood up for his mom and Mama Cat, well, she left. That little orange cat seemed surprised and then made his way over to the bowl to eat some breakfast and soon his mom joined him. I think Cali lost her little black and white kitten to something the other night. She isn't using the deck or under it since the other night. She has found shelter for her little ones in a most unlikely place.

Buddy seemed to have a good night. The effects of the chill pill lingered on and thus we both got a good nights rest. We begin her new regimen today and hopefully this will give her some pain relief. Buddy has a few tremors every now and then and a little dementia. Hoping that along with the steroids, with the new regimen she can enjoy life a little longer. Buddy had one of those "I can't do this anymore" moments in the vet office yesterday when she tried to jump from the chair to the counter. She made it, barely but couldn't complete the jump. So Mira-lax in the water and probiotics and pain meds in her food...which gets complicated because she refuses to eat wet food. I took advantage of Buddy being upstairs to mix and cover her food with the above. Blends in well by color so hopefully this will help.

Yes, I know, my life seems to be dominated by cats this week, no most weeks. They come and go at will but expect to fed on time.



These two pics are many of the one Roy took up at Mt Mitchell a week ago on Sunday. A beautiful drive and a wondrous view along the Parkway and on top of Mt Mitchell. Watching fog roll along across the roads and through the meadows is enchanting and mesmerizing. Now, if the fog was rolling in and settling, we would have cut the drive short and turned around. You don't mess with fog in higher elevations. Not being a chicken but when lifelong residents of this area tell you they don't mess with it that tells you something. 

Got home from book club and we had a lively discussion and a great time. We have a new member so that's always fun. We read the book American Pie and our next book is Delicious! I came home to find Cali and her two kittens playing on the deck. MJ who hasn't been around for weeks is here, lying on the grill cover, sleeping unless something wakes him up. He used to do that as a kitten. 

Tomorrow is haircut and highlights. I might take a drive through the Biltmore Estate just to take in all the beauty after the appointment. You know, the beauty on the Estate...not my hair. 

I still can't believe I left my phone on my car instead of going through my usual routine yesterday. I am so thankful for the man and his son for finding it and waiting for the owner to call...that would be me. He might get a job out of the encounter though, cause the new member needs a roofer after getting the raccoons out of her attic. So today, you better believe I did the routine to remember to have everything with me when leaving the house. 

I will leave this post with this little funny. As I have written before my eyeglasses are my lifeline cause my vision is iffy at best. So last night, with Buddy in my thoughts when I got up to uh...let's see...use the necessitarium I thought Buddy was lying on the rug in front of the sink, so before washing my hands I bend down to pet her only it was a turquoise wash cloth...Buddy was deep in her blanket.  Don't worry, eye exam is Thursday. Not as bad as when I put toothpaste up my nose when I thought I was using nose spray in the middle of the night and when I looked up in the middle of the night and thought there was a bat on ceiling when it was just the A/C vent. Life is never dull. 

No comments: