Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday Findings

Yesterday about this time it looked like my cell phone might be on its last legs. So I went to the Google and followed instructions. Think that did the trick but think I will be researching new iPhones to be prepared.

Love end of season shopping and the deals have been good. It is The Anniversary Sale at The Nord and due to a glitch in their system for the pre-sale to card holders, they gave ten points for each dollar spent on the first two days for the lack of access and trouble caused. That got me a $20.00 note and I used it the other day to order fall/winter flannel shirts and with the anniversary price and the note, both shirts priced under $50.00. Some Keen shoes I liked at the beginning of spring and summer went on sale on their website and got a really good deal on two pairs of shoes. Sounds like I am loading an ark with two by two savings. In the past Soft Surroundings was a go to but lost interest when they opened a store in Houston and I associate Soft Surroundings with a difficult season of life...now I see where they are opening a store in Biltmore Village, in the fall maybe... They do have unique clothes so maybe I'll go there before or after hair salon appointments. They had some fun flannel shirts last year and when two colors..another ark reference totally unintentional, went on sale...boom, I was all over that.

This evening on the front porch the air held the yellow of goldfinches and the red of cardinals flashes as they wing toward....well, whatever they are winging toward. The lightning bugs in the background lit their flight paths here and there and over yonder. With the Feral Fam taking so much attention my attention to the front feeders and bird bath has been remiss. The hummingbirds were buzzing about this evening around their feeder...with them being so territorial, it is an interesting study.

Today on the way to Tractor Supply and CVS a mama turkey and child crossed the road...to get to the other side. They sauntered but they were not slow. I had stopped to let them get across safely and was about to take off when a wing fluttering beside the road revealed another turkey child, so back to a stop. Only this turkey was not able footed and had a gimpy leg. He or she struggled to make it across the road but with determination, it made it to where mama turkey waited. It did not help that at that moment the thoughts occupying me were about that little orange kitten. He has gone onto glory land. The last time I saw him was yesterday when Cali had positioned him in the metal rolling plant cart with him being sandwiched in between the side and a galvanized plant container. The past few days he looked more like a little old man cat than a kitten. Even if I had been able to get to him yesterday he probably would not have made it. I saw him eating some of the probiotic stuff the other night but it might have been too late. On Sunday morning before church I observed what look to be a goodbye ritual in the cat world. Riley who had taken to protecting her brother and staying with him instead of knocking him over and trying to play, put her head across his neck. Cali was on top of the railing keeping watch and then she came down and held him close to her...I just knew when I returned home, he would be in kitty heaven. He made it till yesterday and today once again Cali has kept her distance and made sure her remaining kitten does the same. I watched them tonight eat and then play a bit on the deck. Watching Cali and knowing her history of growing up, being the odd cat out with the siblings, she still has a playful instinct and probably it is a teaching tool as she and Riley chase and wrestle. But Cali can shoot a mean mom look in a second when she has had enough.

Last night I got to watch the choir and orchestra of HFBC in concert in Costa Rica. So blessed by the music and the worship. Sang along on a few songs. I miss singing Total Praise. The pictures posted by friends on the trip have been so fun to see and so interesting with back stories and how the choir and orchestra were able to help. And now I am watching tonight's concert. It is looking like it is warm in the church....great worship.
**********************
I'm finding it difficult to begin a task because Cali and Riley have been so entertaining playing in the tent and and tube and cube. Buddy has done the porch and is now rocking a nap in the back window.

This year the elementary school and high school I attended have both been demolished and new buildings are taking their place. Comments from alumna for both schools have been interesting and some thought provoking. I would have loved to walk through Parker before the demolition began. Westbury Baptist Church met in Parker and then moved onto the high school, Westbury, before being able to build the church on property. Across the street from Westbury, the church had purchased a house used for Wednesday and Sunday night church activities. Mission Friends or Sunbeams, I guess is what we were called back in the day met in the garage...I remember learning how to make butter from cream and my first exposure to Christmas in July as we gathered gifts to send to missionaries to give out at Christmas. It took that long back then for things to be shipped and delivered.

The day awaits...well, it has really begun and soon it will be the afternoon. It is a day with no schedule and that is a favorite for sure. Emailed Mike the Mower Man to see if he will weed eat the very front part of our property. From the house you can't see that area because of the slope but when you get to the bottom of the road, there is nature in all its glory taking over once again. I think having that whole area in day lilies would be beautiful.

No comments: