Thursday, July 26, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...About Cats And All That

Glorious sleep! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, early to bed...10:30 and later to rise...8:00 am...makes this one more nice. And Buddy slept in even later not getting up with me but coming downstairs closer to 9:00. We truly are easing into the morning and into the day. Toast and coffee seemed like an easing into the morning kind of breakfast complete with honey, butter and cinnamon sugar.

Buddy is having a porch day. When she was out there earlier, Cali and her two kittens were on the front deck. They had a major stare off and it was called on the account of the Fed Ex delivery and ironically the delivery is probiotics and snacks for cats. The little sick orange kitten had found a cool and probably comfortable place in one of the rolling carts with plants on it. He was left behind when Cali and Riley ran from the Fed Ex guy, so I came inside got my gloves and figured this would be the best time to get him and get him to a vet. Dang, that Cali is fast and by the time I got back to the front with gloves on, she had him whisked away. She isn't as friendly to me right now because she knows I have an interest in that kitten, but she doesn't understand it is for his welfare. She has him hid well. I'm keeping my work gloves in my pocket just in case another opportunity arises.

So when you bring in a new or new to you piece of furniture there can be a lot of rearranging going on and that is what has been happening. Changed chairs in two rooms, took out a desk, added the children's student desk and now it seems that I want to move a small little table and maybe for today that will be it. Man, I sure do rest more in between than back in the day.
******************
On this foggy Thursday morning I believe that our little orange kitten has crossed over to kitty cat heaven. I believe it happened sometime yesterday because Cali and Riley moved about the area that includes other yards and neighbor's hiding spaces. Cali and Riley were on the deck early waiting on breakfast and when it is just Cali and now down to one kitten brood, I try to help her health wise. So, in the mornings they get some of Buddy's expensive prescription cat food and a probiotic chaser. Cali's old and fat boyfriend hangs around for meals sometimes, so if he is around...just plain old food cause he licks the platter clean. I have watched Cali this morning playing with her last kitten, who has boundless energy and now Cali has to help expel it so that nap time comes sooner, play in the tent of napping and the cube and tube with Riley. The same things she played in and with along with her siblings. Cali is a mom and she isn't even a year old yet, she has lost two kittens, she fights the odds of nature winning and she has a fat and old boyfriend cat who looks like he looses more fights than he wins. She is dependent on our supplying food and drink yet since Robby fell ill and my attention was directed at scooping him up and getting him to a vet...well, she doesn't come as close anymore. MJ showed up last night for a quick early evening snack and he has gone back to wherever he hangs out now. Haven't seen Mama Cat for over a week and Camo hasn't been around either. I try to imagine they have found someplace better to live and eat but the odds are not in that scenario.

Oh I am feeling it today from all the furniture moving I did yesterday but I'm pleased with the results. A desk will be finding a new home and an arm chair will likely be following with an exit as well. I also went through books and while I have collected some to take to the used bookstore, I didn't purge like the great book purge of 2011. I regret now some of the books that I gave away. So caution was the watch word.

I had thought about going over to Waynesville this morning but I have talked myself into postponing that jaunt till next week, even though Blue Rooster will be closed, Barber's Orchard will be open.

The book we are reading for book club, Delicious, is a good read. I think I am at the heart of the mystery of the story, so I stopped reading last night and decided today is the better day to read that portion of the book. When it is late in the evening, I tend to skim books instead of truly reading.

The sun is burning off the fog, so I will get out and run a few errands soon. A lovely day in the mountains.

No comments: