Friday, August 15, 2008

Another Relaxing Olympic Friday

I am using my new portable lap top desk thingy from the fine folks at Border's. They sent me a coupon for my birthday and I used it to purchase this. My lap is not getting hot or burnt from the heat of my lap top and I have a little cushion thing that my wrists are certainly enjoying.

With my mind and days consumed with Milestones, MidLink and cool give aways for both, oh my, I have totally forgotten some happenings from the last week. With Cheryl mentioning the term sunset fatigue from John Ortburg's book, The Life You Have Always Wanted, I have been aware of how much sunset fatigue I am experiencing. Re-reading that book and then couple that with the much anticipated release of the book Mad Church Disease in February, which is a book about burnout in ministry, maybe I have some advice and help coming my way.

Last Friday I drove out to Sugarland for my haircut and afterwards stopped at the nail salon a couple of doors down. Oh my, the pedicure was just about as relaxing as The Nord's but my callouses were actually given a little more attention and those babies are just about gone. No use of the blade was needed. Whew.... I was mesmerized by the process (I am easily entertained). While we were talking it came up that I had just been to Emmanuel and I asked her if she had ever been to the new massage place next door? No, but she met everyone when the fire alarm had gone off earlier in the week. So people were standing out there in the parking lot with sheets wrapped around them. You know that triggered all my thoughts and irrational fears I have mentioned before about that happening at The Nord.

With new pink polish and smoothed out callouses, I ran a few errands and then stopped by my parents. I took my DVD player to show them the DVD my cousin Becky made from slides she found after her father's death. Becky did a lot of hard work putting it together with some beautiful music. When I viewed it the first time and saw pictures of my mom laughing and so carefree in her early twenties...well, I just started crying. While watching it with my parents my mom said several times...is that me? There is one picture and I agree with her, what was she thinking with the hairstyle? It was bad. I am happy that both my cousins are now on Face Book and maybe we will keep up better with each other. Hey Becky and Lois!

Last Sunday, I took Dena to the airport for her flight to London. It is my belief if you travel outside the country, you should be taken and picked up at the airport. It is a good welcome home. I made mention last Sunday after her adventurous trips around the world, that London seemed rather tame and pedestrian. I shouldn't have said a thing...her plane was really late in taking off, the jet way was broken in London and they were going to deplane the old fashioned way and her flight to Scotland was late as well. Nothing tame and pedestrian about those happenings. *******Update**** Dena's flight was just diverted to New Orleans. Couldn't land due to weather at Bush. Note to self, never comment on flights again. I hope she is saying, it is what it is, right about now. They are supposed to land at 2:00 in New Orleans.*****Steven W has Murray Mints on his desk and I am hooked on them. They are from England. I emailed her on Wednesday and asked if she would bring some home to me. Good News, she found them and likes them too. They are butterscotch and mint flavored, but on the wrapper it says may contain whole sesame seeds. What??????

I have had NBC on this morning to watch the Olympics. Track and field is beginning. I will now begin adding track and field terms to my already expanded Olympic vocabulary. I love speaking in my inside voice all the time. It does seem to make things more dramatic.

Roy is prepared to leave for the office. He picks up his briefcase in one full movement. That is his signature move. Oh, 3/10 of a point deduction, he tripped over Buddy. I have watched him all week and he has avoided that mistake. This is going to cost him now when it really counts. He has done a full turning twist to the door knob, what extension...what height as he picks up and throws the paper into the entrance way. It has landed perfectly, he missed the lamp and purse sitting on the hallway table. Here comes his dismount...closing the door, Buddy rushing toward it...oh very close but he sticks the door shutting complete with locking the door in record time. Major deduction, he forgot to kiss his wife goodbye. This will certainly effect his score. No chance for gold, maybe not even a medal in the competition. Tonight he will be competing in the floor exercise, picking up his shoes strewn through out the home.

They interviewed the two American gymnasts that won last night. It is refreshing to see that competitors can be good friends. They ran that piece about Phelps giving his spot to his friend and competitor in the last Olympics.

Well, I better complete my own floor exercise. Then onto the vault as I jump over and successfully land over all the junk that has piled up in my closet this week. I'm going for the gold! Cue Olympic music as I go to my next event in this rotation.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Lol - I love the commentary of Roy leaving for the office!

Anonymous said...

hear hear i second ebay's comment..priceless!!!!!

FitzandMolly said...

the Blade...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nancy you don't need to post this but after reading your review of Curtis Jones' message i checked out the hfbc site and OH NO....There is only like 38 seconds of the end of his message taped...i was disappointed but then thought....Let me tell Mrs.Monarch...she works there and can probably let someone know..as if you don't have enough to do..and as if someone hasn't already told them about problem...guess it was just a good reason to say HI to you...thanks..i'll check out the sermon later this week! Have a Good Week...always look forward to your posts!!!!