Sunday, August 3, 2008

Conversations with Roy

There are times I have wished that Roy was a little more musical than he is. On his iPod amid all the podcasts from oil and gas firms, accounting firms, HFBC, and other Christian podcasts is only one music CD. It is the Smith Band.

Then there are times I am glad Roy isn't very musical and conversations like the one we had today after church can happen. We were on our way to lunch when Roy mentioned to me that I needed to address a situation. I agreed but I really didn't like his tone. So, I got a little miffed on the inside about that. He has a saying that he has said since I have known him. When he thinks I need to take action or if he thinks a circumstance or someone is taking advantage of me he says, "You need to speak to it." All this means with him is, take care of it.

Since I had a twinge of miffed going on I said to Roy, well the battle is the Lord's. And we began that kind of teasing conversation back and forth; about speaking to the problem and me taking care of it or letting the Lord handle it. Now he agrees the battle is the Lord's but he knew what I was up to when I said that, mischief from the miffed. He knew it was all about the tone of voice he took.

We are almost finished lunch and we have so enjoyed our conversations since the "talk to it" and I could not resist saying the following....

Me- Roy (I've) been talking to myself and feeling old. Sometime I'd like to quit. Seems like nothing ever seems to fit.

Roy-Are you talking about quitting your job or shopping for clothes?

Me-Hanging around nothing else to do but frown.

Roy-Are you upset? Don't frown.

Me-Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

Roy-that's from a song isn't it.

He just busts out laughing and well I do too. Ain't nothing like some cheesy Carpenter lyrics to end Sunday lunch on the right note.

2 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

You two are so cute! I'll have to try that next time our conversation seems to take a little detour. Nothing like a little laughter to change the mood! I can't wait to meet you in San Antonio either. It's SO neat that you got to have lunch with my friend, Annie's Eyes! She's so sweet! I'm looking forward to meeting you face to face!
Love,
Angie xoxo

brenda said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday Dear Nancy!
Happy Birthday to you!

Love you!
Brenda