Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Refunds of a Gross Kind

I got a refund from dinner last night, only it isn't the kind of refund you like to get. The refund came around 2:48 am this morning. And being a valued customer, refunds came regularly, often and thankfully ended around 4:00 am. Fortunately for Roy, I am a very quiet refunder and his sleep was never disturbed. It wasn't until 5:30 am that Roy knew anything was wrong. He was waking me up and said you look horrible. Did you sleep last night? Ahh, the kind and endearing words one wants to hear. He closed the bedroom door with those lovely words ringing in my head and didn't hear another thing until hearing his ring tone pierce the morning stillness at 9:30. I do love that he was checking in on me. I went right back to sleep.


Buddy didn't appreciate being shut out of the bedroom for that long. I finally let her in and she settled on my arm. We both slept peacefully. A little before noon, I got up and she followed me purring and climbing up the leg of my pajamas so I would pet her. Gave her a treat and I sat down to sip a Diet Coke and munch on a saltine or two to check my refunding condition. Buddy climbed onto my lap wanting to be petted. I obliged willingly when out of the blue she attacked my arm and hand. I picked her up like Roy does to quiet her down and she flayed even harder. She went for both sides of my face. I went for the squirt gun and after showering her with precise shots, I went back to the bedroom and shut the door. When I came out she sat there looking repentant. I thought we were making up when she came at me again and caught her claws into my hand. That hurt like the dickens and I started crying. To tell you the truth I am not a big crier but when I do cry I figure to get something out of it, so I think of all the stuff that has hurt me in the past few weeks and what I hate that seems to be an unanswerable portion of my life right now. All that to say, I had a loud and great cry. Buddy sat there staring at me cause I rarely cry. She was so moved, she jumped on the bed and went to sleep. That is where she is now. That cat can go months without any kind of a temper and boom, she is wild cat for about a day.


I did get a spiritual lesson out of all the above. Yet it reminded me of the cycle I seem to be in right now, surprise attacks in what seemingly feels like a time of peace.


After meeting a friend for dinner last night, I ran to the Kroger to pick up a few things. Roy had stayed late at the office and then walked at the CLC. I so wish he would have been with me to witness the checking out experience. My few things did not fall under the 15 items or less category, so I went to the only open check out for regular shopping. I noticed the lady in front of me was a little bit strange and odd, but who isn't after a full day of work. She unloaded her cart and loudly announces to the checker and bag boy and about half of the store, she would be packing her own groceries. This is where it turned strange...she sang very loudly while she did this. Not whistle while you work, or she works hard for the money or take this job and shove it. No, she sang a tune that she had made up and her groceries played the supporting cast. The paper bowls sang to the celery, then the celery sang to the bag of apples. You get the drift. The checker, bag boy and I just starred. What else does one do? If the bag boy tried to help she just sang louder, I pack my own groceries. Meanwhile the line behind me is growing longer and longer by the song. She puts the bags in the cart, sings a tune while using the debit card and left silently. Show over. The checker looked at me and I questioningly looked at her. She said, oh she comes in once a week and gives the same performance. Wow! In the parking lot she was loading her groceries singing her songs when she accidentally set off her car alarm. She stopped loading and came to a full stance and yelled, it's OK, I set it off, no one was hurt in the alarm accident...then she went right back to loading and singing. I shop at the strangest yet most entertaining Kroger in the city.

I think I have a roommate for HFBC's Women's Retreat that I wasn't planning on attending in October. Funny how that works. We are both semi committed to not attending everything on the program. That is how I roll at most women's retreats.

Peggy and I are going to the LP event in San Antonio on Friday. We are really looking forward to the trip. I look forward to meeting blogging buddies and she is looking forward to some time away. We are both looking forward to hearing God's Word. I am asking the Lord to speak directly to what seems to be my life right now. I am asking God to do a HUGE thing in all of our lives as we worship and learn in the Alamo Dome. This seems strange after what I wrote about women's retreats, but that is what I love about Beth Moore. She cuts out all the fluff, gets to the point, you learn, God speaks, transformation takes place and you laugh while some of the above is taking place.

Well, I am going to see if a few more crackers won't be refunded. Then check on Buddy and see how our reconciliation is going to happen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wishing you lots of reconciliation without any refunds and NO FLUFF this weekend !!!! (unless it is marshmellow fluff as in "fluffernutter")

jené said...

Suck on some peppermints. They can ease your tummy. Candied Ginger works as well but it is strong and more often an acquired taste.

the parkers said...

confirmed! I'm in, and yes, very semi-committed to doing nothing:)

Sarah said...

We missed you at the meeting tonight...sure hope you get to feeling better soon! Love ya!

Ali said...

Poor Nancy, oh how I hate the refunds :-(

Hope you are back to full health and strength very soon

Lauren said...

Um, I have only read the first paragraph and I had to skip down to the comments and say:

EWWWW! GROSS!

"Refunded"?! You are too funny.

Lauren said...

I hope you guys have a wonderful time at the LP event. I sure wish I could be there to meet some of the siestas.

That story about the lady at Kroger cracks me up.

FitzandMolly said...

Buddy's going through The Change. Sorry I'm going to miss y'all in S.A. - don't have childcare for the tod on Friday. :(