Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bunko, Birthday and Buddy


Since the strong tropical force winds weren't to hit Galveston until 3:00 am, we played Bunko right on schedule. I am so glad we did and I'm not just saying that because Peggy and I won the most games and that we were at the head table for the majority of the night. Seriously, we have a fun group. Rolling dice through tears because of laughing so hard is now one of my all time favorite feelings. Our Bunko group is comprised of young and older...think Titus 2 women.
We played at CourntneyS and she had prepared a very delicious dinner of pulled pork sandwiches, slaw, and some pinto beans that are so good, yes you want to slap ya mamma. Thanks CourtneyS for all the preparation that went into making the evening so fun.
The secret to our success last night is that we keep count on our fingers and not on pads of paper. Michelle even audited us while we played last night. She kept our score on a pad as well as her own. No cheating...no slight of hand. We are just trying to keep our brains young and fending off any onslaught of early dementia.
Linda had the most Bunkos. And after Peggy deferred to let me have the prize for winning the most games because yesterday was my birthday, I quit paying attention because Eileen and Dana were making me laugh. I gave Peggy back the gift because she is going to make the cake for next months Bunko which will be at her house. Peggy was Amanda last night and next month she is Cindy. Everyone had such a good time with Peggy, they want her to be the all time sub for the group.
I had such a good birthday yesterday. The Day Camper children surprised me by coming to my office and singing Happy Birthday to me twice and much louder the second time. I LOVED that! Their singing is just one of the side benefits of working at a church. Jordon and Madi came earlier and sang to me and added a beautiful lamb to my collection. Lisa P left an Astros tote bag full of goodies which includes a "gonna make everyone jealous when I wear it" ring. We had cake at 3:00, an HFBC tradition. Loved all my cards and all the greetings on Face Book. I so appreciate my friends and their generous hearts and lives. God has blessed me beyond measure for sure. Roy told me last night, guess you won't be getting the flowers I ordered for you until Wednesday, due to the tropical storm that has shut down the town.
Buddy and I share the same birthday. She is two, still fun, still adventurous, and still can be slightly aggravating. Don't know if 2 in cat years is the same as the terrible twos for kiddos. She doesn't like it when we sleep in. She came into the bedroom about every 30 minutes this morning trying to wake us up. I will be doing just that to her when she wants to sleep in the early evening. This morning she snuggled up right beside me wanting her head rubbed. The little sneak, she took the opportunity to bite me. All I have to do is call out Roy's name and she is on alert. He raised up from the covers arms out wide and says Buuuuuuuddddddddyyyyyyyy. She was done biting in a hurry and ran off into the living room. Roy and I went back to sleep. I do know this, I had a much better birthday than Buddy.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I am inviting myself to Bunko if/when I move back to Houston.

Amanda said...

Nancy, I am so sad that I had to miss last night! Especially since it was your birthday bunko! I'm so glad it was a fun night. Can't wait till next month!

Profbaugh said...

I can't believe I didn't know it was your birthday!! Happy Belated Birthday. Can't wait to do a belated celebration in SA.

Hold on. . . I'm praying for y'all (am getting good at the southern lingo, or what?) in Texas.

P.S. If I were in your neck of the woods, I would have braved the storm for Birthday Bunko (tee hee).

Much Love,
~Cheryl

Cosmo said...

Bunko? Pulled pork? Pinto beans so good you could slap your own mother?!!? This must be some strange Southern language that I don't understand!

A belated, very happy birthday!

FitzandMolly said...

I owe you for your birthday. Sorry I forgot. :(